XLI

General Organa went straight to work, trying to find out who the spy was.

She had Lieutenant Connix tracing all transmissions from all of the bases for the last three days, and any that were sent during the time afterwards.

Eventually, Connix tracked it down.

"Jessika Pava and Sabelie Pashe are to leave to recover a transmission. They will be alone."

She called General Organa over to read it.  "It was sent by an commamd transmitter, from the Endor Base."

The general stared at it for a minute, then mumbled something.

"Pardon?"

"Send a transmission to Geo Ioropa.  Tell him to come here.  Immediately."

Connix nodded and sent the transmission.

He arrived the next day, pulling off his helmet as he jumped down.  Geo was surprised when two guards went and seized his arms.

"What's going on?"

"You're under arrest, under suspicion of treason."

He protested his entire way to the cells.

Jess glared daggers at him.  If looks could kill, he would have imploded with the force of a dying star.

If he was guilty, he'd be responsible for Sabelie's death, and, though she'd only met her that day, Jess was grieving her.  She guessed that's what happened when you witnessed a death.

Jess isolated herself from Poe and Pát.  They tried to talk to her, but she wouldn't respond.

One day, after Poe had gone to speak to Geo in his cell, Pát said, "This is not right."

They were sitting on the hill, where they spent so much time.  "What do you mean?"

"You were held there before, you know what it's like.  He's been there three days and we don't even know whether he's guilty or not."

"If he is innocent, he'll be released promptly, after the trial.  I had to stay there a few days too, merely for punching someone." Poe tried to put his arm around her.

She pushed it away. "But what if he is innocent? What if he's in there for no reason?"

"What if he's guilty, and we let him go, only to betray us again, and end up killing more of us?"

Pát glared down into the base.

"See, Pát, it really isn't that simple. We just have to wait until the trial, okay? Only four more days."

She didn't respond. Poe sighed and leaned back, staring up at the stars.

Jess watched them, angry that they weren't furious at Geo. The accused had been locked into a cell with a single window.

Each time Jess had to pass the window, she kick a rock or some dust down through a crack in the glass.

The day of the trial finally came. Geo was dragged out of the cell and brought up to the council room.

He stood in the place Poe had stood years before.

"Geo Ioropa, you are charged with treason against the Resistance," General Organa began. "Before we begin, I will allow you to confess, if you must, or remain silent."

Geo didn't speak.

"Jessika Pava, please present your evidence."

Jess took a step forward.  "When Sabelie Pashe and I arrived on the planet, Baz knew we would be there.  He knew our names, why we were there."