XXXVIII

Poe flew back the next morning, after breakfast.  He jumped into lightspeed later than he normally would have, just to give him a bit more time to think.  He'd made up his mind the night before of what he would say, but he wasn't sure if it was the right thing to do or say.

When he landed, he busied himself with getting BB-8 down and checking up on his X-Wing, waiting for Pát to approach him first.

She didn't come.

He went to Jess and asked where Pát was.

"She's on a mission, to Coruscant, to organize supplies.  I thought she'd told you."

"No."

"That's frustrating," Jess commented.

"It is," Poe grumbled.

"Well, she should be back tonight."

Poe walked away, disappointed.  He went to the mess hall and ate, then went to his barracks to sleep.

He slept until dinner, then ate.  Pát was due back any minute, and he wanted to be there when she arrived. 

Soon, an X-Wing swooped down into the landing area.

Poe sprang to his feet and ran down the hill he was sitting on.  "Pát!"

She turned as he ran up, embracing her.

Pát laughed, then kissed him.  "Well?"

Poe smiled.  "Well what?"

"Doofus.  Do you love me?"

"Yes."

Pát grinned and kissed him again.  "That wasn't so hard, was it?"

"Well, I was considering changing my answer when you called me a doofus."  Poe let her go, and they stepped out of the way for the ground crew.

She gave him a look.

BB-8 knocked against their ankles, and they both looked down.

Pát looked back at the X-Wing she'd flown. "I don't think I'm cut out to be a pilot. I prefer ground fighting, where there's really only a few ways the enemy can come from, rather than everywhere."

"Well, you survived."

"Barely."

"What do you mean?"

"I barely landed at Coruscant. I forgot, I was so stressed."

"You landed almost perfectly here," Poe said.

They started towards the command center, to report to General Organa.

"Yeah, well, I never want to fly again."

Poe laughed.

He waited outside while Pát reported to the general, then they went up to watch the stars.

As they sat down, Poe said, "Ben and I used to name the stars, when we were really little."

"What did you call them?" Pát asked.

"We named them after each other, and then Ben would say the real name.  He had a knack for memorizing the stars and constellations from everywhere he lived."  Poe paused.  "I wonder if he knows the stars wherever he is now."

Pát took his hand as he stared off into the distance, thinking.  Then he snapped back to where he was.  "Let's see.  That one, there, the reddish one.  That one is now called Pátriciá."

"That one's Poe," Pát said, pointing at a large blue one.

They spent an hour naming the stars, after family, friends, and other people.

At about midnight, they went to their own beds, both knowing how exhausted they'd be in the morning.

And exhausted they were, both having returned from long journeys the day before.

After Poe almost fell asleep in a tactics meeting, for the third time, General Organa sent him to bed.

He went willingly, and slept until right before dinner.

Jess was happy to see Pát and Poe holding hands when they walked into the mess hall, and moved over to give them space.  She kept gushing over them until Poe told her to shut up.

Cute Pát X Poe for fandomsoundsinnocent

And happy Mother's Day too to all of the mothers in the world.

Here are some of the Star Wars moms, canon and from my story:

Padme Amidala
Luke Skywalker, Leia Organa

Shmi Skywalker
Anakin Skywalker

Leia Organa
Ben Solo

Lara Bendal
Averann Bendal, Afren Bendal, Anonra Bendal

Averann Bendal
Pandora Bendal (I don't think Jasper ever had a last name, either that or I don't remember it.)

Aura Dameron
Poe Dameron