XXXIII

"General Organa, we are receiving a transmission." Lieutenant Connix said.

"From whom?" Leia asked, walking over.

"I don't know."

Poe and Jess entered, supporting Pát between them. She felt stronger, but neither would let her go anywhere on her own.

"You know you don't need to help me walk. I got a new arm, not a leg!" Pát giggled, trying to throw their arms off.

Their laugher faded when they saw General Organa and Connix's faces.

"Shall I play the transmission?"

"Yes, Connix."

The three newcomers gathered around as it began to play.

They were aghast at the recording, showing them the execution of Vona Day.

It cut off just after she fell to the ground, dead.

Pát began to cry.  Poe rubbed her back and took her outside.

Jess was enraged.  "How dare they?"

"Jess, she was a spy and almost an assassin.  It was well within their rights to execute her."  General Organa touched her arm.

The pilot threw her hand off.  "They didn't have to send us the footage!"

"I agree with you on that. Now, Jess, I want you to go, eat, shower, and go to bed. I know you're upset, but you are not to go seek revenge."

"Yes, general."

Jess left and followed what General Organa told her.

She passed by Poe and Pát.

They were sitting together on the hill above the control room.

Pát had her head on Poe's shoulder. Jess almost laughed at hoe awkward he looked, uncertain as to whether he should put his arm around Pát's shoulder or take her hand.

"The stars are beautiful," he commented.

Pát laughed. "I'm not on great terms with the stars right now."

Poe looked at her. "What do you mean?"

"It's...a long story."

"We've got all night."

Pát smiled and lifted her head. "I guess we do. Are you sure you want to hear it?"

Poe leaned back on the heels of his hands. "Of course I do."

She took a deep breath, pulling her knees to her chest. "When I was little, my father owned a star cruiser, a pleasure ship, where rich people traveled from system to system. Needless to say, we were...well off. I used to watch the stars, as my father pointed out the systems and told me stories about the people. The stars were my friends, and I began to feel like as long as I could see the stars, I would be safe.

"When I came here, I found it strange that I couldn't see a sky full of stars at all times, but then I realized the sun was a star, and the only problems were cloudy days."

"I'll bet you got a lot of those on Bespin," Poe said, smiling.

"Sort of. The clouds are wispier the farther you get from the center. So I would sit at the top and count the stars at night. Anyway, I figured I would be safe as long as my friends, the stars, were watching me." Pát took a deep breath. "And then the battle happened." She lifted her bionic arm, not yet fitted with the skin colored exoskeleton. "The stars couldn't save my friends."

"Could they have anyway?"

"I don't know, they were my good luck charm of sorts. I knew deep down that they couldn't protect me, but I was hopeful."

Poe took her hand and began to run his thumb around the back of it. Pát returned her head to his shoulder.

They sat there until the stars began to fade and the sun began to rise.