7~ When Lightning Strikes

I sat in the back of Ryan's truck, staring at Andy, Ryan, and Ryan's friend Lisa. Andy and Lisa had been flirting constantly all night and he hadn't spoke a word to me. I had sat beside Ryan for the last hour but had finally had enough and told them I had a headache and wanted to be alone. Now as I stared at him lying on his back with her laying against his chest I wanted to crawl under Ryan's truck and cry. Did he not understand how much he was hurting me.

"He's being selfish." Ryan whispered, joining me in the bed of his Ford pick-up.

"No, he's not. He doesn't know that I like him. . ."

"If he doesn't, he's a lot denser then I though he was." I looked back over at the couple sitting by the tree. Andy had his arm draped over her, and she had thrown her head back laughing at whatever she said.

"I hate him." I whispered. Ryan sighed beside me.

"He goes and writes a song like that, making me believe he had feelings for me too, then he goes and does stupid things like that." I gestured toward the couple sitting on the ground. Ryan reached over and hugged me, his hands on my back.

"I'm sorry my cousin is such a douche. You deserve better." I shrugged. I turned my attention back to Andy who had stood up and was heading over to where we sat in the bed.

"I want a beer." He said coldly. Ryan shrugged, his arm still around me.

"Get one." Ryan replied, turning his gaze back to me.

"My parents saw you over at my house a few days ago." He stated, I stared in confusion.

"So?"

"So they want to meet you. They think you're my girlfriend or something. I tried to tell them otherwise but they don't believe me." I laughed a little at that.

"Ryan, can I talk to you?" Andy snapped from behind me. Ryan hopped off the bed and followed Andy toward the woods. Lisa looked back at me, smiling.

"It's nice that Ryan finally decided to settle down and get a girlfriend."

"I'm not his girlfriend." I said, angrier than I should have been. She frowned and looked away, mumbling something under her breath.

"Whatever, Andy! Once you finally make up your god damn mind let me know!" Ryan shouted, stalking past the car.

"Come on." He grabbed my hand and pulled me toward the river. Once we reached it he sat down and started to untie his shoes.

"Are you okay, Ryan?" I asked, curious on what he and Andy had just fought about.

"I'm just peachy." Ryan snapped sarcastically, slipping his socks off.

"Did I. . ."

"It's not you, it's Andy." He cut me off. I nodded and watched him kick his pants off before pulling off his tank top.

"You want to join me?" He asked as he walked a few feet in front of us and touched his foot to the water to see how cold it was.

"Sure." I said after thinking about it for a moment. I peeled off my tank top so I was in the bikini underneath.

"Damn." Ryan's eyes looked me up and down, his mouth open a fraction.

"Well are we going to go in or not, College Boy?" I questioned, walking past him. He smirked and slipped into the water, shaking his wet hair all over me.

"Hey!" I snapped, splashing him. He laughed and dove underwater to grab my feet and pulled me under. We both were laughing when we surfaced.

"Andy's fuming." Ryan breathed into my ear. I glanced over to find Lisa grabbing on to a pissed off looking Andy's arm, her eyes filled with worry.

"Why, we aren't. . ." Ryan cupped my cheek with his slippery hand and leaned forward, his lips touching mine. I could barely breath as I stared at Ryan, his eyes closed. After a moment I shut my eyes and kissed him back.

***

"Bye!" Ryan waved before driving off. Andy stood awkwardly beside me, his eyes dark.

"Are you going to leave?" I asked after a few minutes of silence. He looked at his black Ferrari with a cross between anger and agony.

"Why did you kiss him?" He finally replied. I blinked, surprised by his question.

"I don't really think that's any of your business." I snapped. He shut his eyes, bringing his hand up to rub his temple.

"It is when m. . . my best friend and y. . . your brother just died." He said quietly.

"What does that have to do with me kissing Ryan?" I questioned, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Y. . . you act like it means nothing t. . . to you! L. . . like it doesn't effect you!" I stomped over to him and slapped him as hard as I could.

"How dare you say something like that? He was my brother! Of course I care that he's gone. But it's been almost a month, Andy! You need to accept that he's gone and that he won't ever come back!" I screamed. He was holding his red cheek, his eyes widening.

"Y. . . you don't know what it's like, Ari! T. . . to live with the g. . . guilt of knowing you could have done something!" He finally snarled, taking a step toward me.

"I do!" I cried, throwing my hands in the air before collapsing to the ground beside his car. He stood in front of me, his eyebrows drawn in confusion.

"What do you mean?" He whispered. I shook my head.

"Just go, Andrew! Just leave!" He knelt down in front of me, his eyes filled with curiosity.

"Ari, w . . . what do you mean?" He tried to take my hand but I shoved him away.

"I said leave! Go home, Andrew!" I yelled. I saw my porch light flicker on as Andy recoiled and stood back up.

"Why aren't you listening? I want you to leave and never come back! I don't want to see you ever again!" I wiped the tears from my cheeks as I moved away from his car.

"Y. . . you don't mean that." He said, desperation in his eyes.

"I," I stood up and glared at him, "never want to see you again, Andrew. All you have ever done is push me away, even when I have tried to help you. I want you to go." My lips were quivering as he dropped both of his hands to his sides.

"I. . . I'm sorry, Ariel. I never meant to hurt you." He said so quietly that I barely heard him. We stared at each other for what seemed like a lifetime before he dropped his head and walked around to the driver's side of his car. I could hear my mom's heels before I felt her as well as my dad's hands on my shoulders. I watched Andy slam his fist against the steering wheel before he started the car and sped out of the neighborhood.

"I'm so sorry, sweetie." My mom whispered. My dad pulled me against his chest, letting out a sigh.

"I promise things will start getting better soon, honey." He said. I buried my face in his shirt, ignoring the tightening in my chest. He was wrong, because he didn't know that this was only the beginning of the end.

***AN***

I hope you guys enjoyed! 

Let me know what you thought!

~ChasingMadness24