6~ Mine

I stopped dead in my tracks in front of the Band room. Andy, who I hadn't seen all day, was sitting in there with Mr. Bradly, obviously writing a song. A strange feeling started to bubble up in my chest when I realized that the song might be mine.

"Ariel! Hello!" Mr. Bradly said, opening the door. I smiled sheepishly and waved at Andy. He set the guitar on the ground beside him and stared at me, a half smile on his face.

"I thought you'd be home by now." He said.

"I had to stay after class in English." I replied, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Oh, well I guess now's a good time." He said, earning a confused look out of me and a grin from Mr. Bradly.

"I'll be in the other room. You guys have five minutes before I have to lock up. Hurry." We both nodded and he walked out of the room. Andy picked his guitar back up and pulled out a sheet of paper.

"You will not t. . . tell anyone I wrote this. T. . . this is between you and me." I nodded, butterflies fluttering in my stomach as he handed me the sheet of paper upside down.

"You can read the lyrics while I play and sing." He said slowly, drawing out the words. I smiled as he grabbed his guitar again and started to strum. I flipped the paper over as he sang, taking in the lyrics.

Eight years old, I tried to see.

Who I was, who I wanted to be.

I was lost in my own world.

Always looking for that one girl.

That could change my world for better or for worst.

You were always there in the back of my mind, my mind.

Always shining bright, you were my sunshine, sunshine.

I tried to deny it, I tried to fight it, but you helped me through it, through it.

So tell me why, after all this time, you still aren't mine.

Thirteen years old, I learned to see.

The beauty in you, the beauty in things.

I tried so hard to forget about you

But I couldn't let you go, no matter how hard I tried too

You were always there in the back of my mind, my mind.

Always shining bright, you were my sunshine, sunshine.

I tried to deny it, I tried to fight it, but you helped me through it, through it.

I was on a tightrope, walking a fine line, fine line.

Trying to figure out a way to make you mine, you mine.

I couldn't see, that you were behind me, behind me.

So tell me why, after all this time, you still aren't mine.

_______

"Andy. . ." I whimpered as he ended the song. He only stared at me, his face expressionless.

"Andy. . ." I started again. He set the guitar back into it's case and began to zip it up without a word.

"I hope you liked it." He finally whispered. I smiled, trying to blink the tears out of my eyes.

"It's beautiful. I. . ."

"I'm glad you like it." He cut me off as he slung the guitar case over his shoulder.

"So we aren't going to talk about it?" I asked after staring at him for a few seconds.

"No." He snapped quietly. I waved the paper in front of his face.

"You can't just write something like this and expect me to not want to talk about it."

"Bye, Ari." He walked out of the room, the door slamming shut behind him.

****

"So what do you think it means?" I asked Ryan. It had been a week since we had last seen each other at Andy's house, and he had been able to move back into his own. He looked up from the paper and yawned.

"I think it means that he returns the feelings." He poked my side and I giggled as I took the paper back from him.

"He didn't want to talk about it. He just walked out of the room." I said, stretching my legs out.

"He's still trying to accept his feelings, Ariel. Give him some time. This is a huge step for him already." He gestured toward the paper.

"You want to hear what I think you should do?" He continued. I nodded, slipping the paper back into my backpack.

"You saw how he acted when you were with me at the party. Imagine how he would ask if I asked you out." I turned my head to look out of the city as I let what he said sink in

"You want to make him jealous? I think he's going through enough crap right now, Ryan. He doesn't need some little girl following him around everywhere." Ryan shrugged, not looking at me.

"If you want him to like you as more than just a friend, then that might be what you have to do." I could feel the tension start to grow between us and I stood up.

"I better go. My parents are waiting for me. We have to go through Bren's stuff." I grabbed my jacket from his bed and headed toward the door.

"Let me walk you out." I followed him down the stairs and to the door before standing awkwardly in front of it.

"I guess I'll see you around, Ryan." I said, about to turn around. He grabbed my arm, his eyes dark.

"I don't want you to leave like this. I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable. I just think it would be your best option." I gave him a tight smile and walked outside.

"It's fine, Ryan. I'll see you soon." I replied before jogging down the steps and out to my car. As I climbed into my car the lyrics to Andy's song ran through my head and made my heart skip a beat.

"So tell me why, after all this time, you still aren't mine."

***AN****

OOOH, so what did you guys think of Andy's song. I wrote it.

I would love to hear your guys's thoughts!!

~ChasingMadness24