If I Could Turn Back Time

"I'm sorry, but you can't play, Ari. You'll get hurt." Brendan snapped angrily. He'd been repeating the same thing in a continuous loop for the last ten minutes. I back away, ducking behind Andy, knowing he was close to knocking me upside the head with the football in hopes it'd knock some common sense into me.

"Why not, Bren?" I croaked. "I want to play. I don't care if I get hurt.

My older brother rolled his eyes, tossing the ball to Andy. Andrew was in the midst of trying to figure out who's side to take on the matter at hand, and I got the feeling he was leaning more toward Brendan's side. Tossing the ball between his hands, he looked back to my brother with a curt nod. 

"Because you're a fourteen year old girl and we're sixteen year old boys that are twice your weight and height, Ari. Why do you want to play so bad anyway? You've never showed any interest before." 

Against my will, my eyes drifted from my brooding older brother to his best friend. Andy was completely oblivious to my eyes on him, his own memorizing greenish-gray orbs glistening with amusement in the sunlight that continued to peak through the clouds. Despite the sweat beating across his forehead, he looked as if he'd walked right out of a modeling catalog. The black shirt he'd thrown on was a tad too small and clung to his toned chest and biceps, drawing my eyes to them anytime he flexed.

"Oh God!" Brendan gasped, taking a step back and shielding himself with his hands in blatant disgust. Andrew's perfect eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"What?" Andy asked, "You okay, man?"

I shook my head, silently pleading with my brother to not say a word. He eyed me apprehensively then swallowed, turning his attention back to Andy.

"I. . . yeah, Andy. I think you should probably head home, though. I gotta deal with this brat before she rats me out to our parents." Andy still looked lost, but tossed the ball back to my brother and shrugged.

"'Kay, man. You're acting weird. Bye, Ari." he flashed me a killer smile that sent the butterflies in my stomach into a frenzy. "See ya tomorrow, Bren."

He was already half way across the yard by the time I realized I still had his jersey on.

"Andy! Wait!" I started to pull it over my head. "Your jersey!"

He waved me off. "Just keep it, give it back Monday."

Without another word, he climbed into his Dad's black Ferrari and sped off down the street, leaving nothing but dust from kicked up dirt behind him.

"What the hell was that?" Brendan stepped closer to me, shaking his head, the faintest hint of disgust still lingering, "You like him, don't you?"

I turned away, my hands still clenching the jersey tightly.

"Ariel." my brother almost never said my full name. "Do you like Andy?"

"I. . . yes. . . I. . ." I trailed off.

My brother ran a hand over his  glistening forehead, squeezing his eyes shut as if the idea of me being in love with his best friend would be gone once he opened them. No more than just a horrifying nightmare he'd wake up from instantly. 

"I always thought it was weird that you followed us around everywhere. I'm honestly just surprised Andy hasn't realized my little sister has a crush on him.