5~ Can You Write Me A Song?

"Are you okay, Andy? You've been quiet the whole way home." Andy gave me a sideways glance before shrugging.

"I guess." I was surprised that he wasn't drunk. He and Bren had been notorious for partying and going to practice with a hangover the next day.

"Did I do something? I thought you were having fun with all those girls." He rolled his eyes, shaking his head.

"Whatever, Ari. I . . . I'm just tired." He propped his head up on his hand as I pulled in front of his house.

"I'll see you tomorrow?" He was quiet as he climbed out. It wasn't until he shut the door that he replied.

"Sure." He mumbled, before turning around and walking toward his house, his hands in his pockets.

"Bye." I whispered before driving away.

****

I sat down on the bleachers, my eyes on the field in front of me.

"Hey, Kiddo!" I smiled at Mr. McLaughlin's voice.

"Hi, Mr. M!" I replied, looking over my shoulder to see him walking toward me.

"What are you doing out here all by yourself? Aren't your friends waiting for you?" I shook my head.

"I'm not a friendly person, I guess. I don't really have any friends." I looked at my Biology teacher and crush's dad, at the way his lips curved into a smile the same way his son's did.

"Well, what about Andrew?" I shrugged.

"He's been avoiding me all day. I guess I did something wrong last night." He sighed and sat down on the bleacher's beside me.

"I highly doubt you did anything wrong, sweetheart. He's just been a little. . . hostile lately. He's accepting what happened in his own way, even if that means taking it out on everyone else. So don't take it personal, he's been driving us all crazy." I laughed, turning to look back out at the field.

"Are you disappointed that he can't play anymore?" I asked. He shook his head, frowning.

"I mean, I'm a little pissed that Carter won't let him play. But I understand. He's in the best state of mind right now for one thing, and his blackouts will only get worse." I nodded in agreement.

"What about you, sweetie? How are you doing?" I turned to him, giving him a sad look.

"Do you really want to know?" He laid his hand on my shoulder.

"Why don't you come over for dinner tonight. Beth hasn't seen you in a year or two, she'd love to have you there."

"I doubt that Andy would." Mr. McLaughlin yawned and stared out at the field.

"I think he needs you more than he cares to admit. You're the only one that understands how much pain he's in. Just keep bugging him and he'll eventually warm up to you. It's how Brendan got him to like him." He joked. We both laughed quietly before Mr. McLaughlin stood up and hugged me. To most people it would be strange to see a teacher hugging a student, maybe even creepy. But Mr. McLaughlin had always been there for me. He had known my dad since they were kids, and had watched me grow up. And I knew for a fact that he and Mrs. McLaughlin had lost a baby girl when Andy was young, and he probably thought of me as a daughter.

"I hope to see you tonight. Like I said, Andy will warm up to you eventually." I waved goodbye as he hopped off the bleachers and headed back toward the school. I took a deep breath and smiled as the team came jogging out of the lockeroom. I stood up and walked back out toward the parking lot, blinking away the tears that were in my eyes. Every part of me was waiting for Bren to come running out of the lockeroom, for him to come running toward me and offering me a ride home.

"Stop." I snapped to myself, before running toward my parents car and not turning back.

****

"Ariel!" Mrs. McLaughlin threw her arms around me, pulling me into a bear hug.

"Hi, Mrs. McLaughlin." I replied, laughing. She took the bag of cookies in my hands and moved out of the way so I could come in. I blinked in surprise when I saw Ryan sitting on the couch.

"Long time no see." He said, standing up with a grin.

"Yeah. What are you doing here?" I asked bluntly, hanging my jacket up.

"Visiting my Aunt and Uncle and my cousin." As if on cue, Andy decided to walk into the living room, shirtless.

"W. . . what are you doing here?" He growled. I wasn't sure if he was talking to Ryan or me so I kept my mouth shut.

"We invited her over for dinner, honey." He glared at his parents, and gestured toward Ryan.

"D. . . don't I have enough to d. . . deal with?" His mom crossed her arms over her chest, her eyes dark.

"Andrew, that is no way to talk to a girl. And you wonder why you don't have a girlfriend." Andrew gave his mom a look that was somewhere in between shock and anger.

"T. . . that's n. .. not your b. . . business! She's Bren's s. . . sister." Ouch. I winced and looked down at the carpet.

"Andy, sweetie. Ariel cares about you and. . ."

"Bullshit. S. . . she just w. . . wants to sleep with Ryan." I gasped, looking at him. Ryan stood smirking beside me, as if he were amused by the scene in front of him. Mrs. McLaughlin pointed down the hall.

"Take Ariel to your room. Your father and I need to speak to Ryan." Andy looked ready to fight his mom but nodded when his dad gave him a dark look. Andy gestured down the hall, following me.

"I can go home. I. . . I shouldn't have come anyway." I said when we reached his room.

"It's fine." He muttered, shutting his door behind him as he walked over and sat down in his computer chair.

"You still have that guitar? Do you know how to play?" I asked after a few minutes of awkward silence. Andy shrugged, reaching for the acoustic guitar beside him. He started strumming and humming to himself, I stared in shock.

"You're really good, Andy! You should write a song." He smiled for the first time since I'd arrived.

"I already do. Not that anyone needs to know that." He said slowly and quietly.

"Can you write me a song?" I whispered, afraid of his answer. His smile grew as he nodded.

"Sure, I guess. Do you want it about anything in particular?" Yeah, but I highly doubt you'll want to write it.

"No, just write whatever comes to mind when you think of me. And hey, it sounds like your stuttering is getting better."

"Thanks to you." I smiled, blushing as I stared down at his comforter.

"Sorry for snapping earlier. I'm just a little pissed that my parents are letting Ryan crash here for a week. His house is trashed and his parents kicked him out until they can get everything cleaned up." I didn't reply, but continued to stare down at the blanket beneath me.

"Ari, you okay?" Andy walked over the bed and sat beside me. I bit my lip to stop it from trembling, tears slipping down my cheeks.

"Ariel what's wrong?" He grabbed my hand, but I ripped it away.

"I. . . nothing. I think your parents are done talking." I wiped my cheeks and stood up. Andy grabbed my arm before I could open the door.

"Ariel, tell me what's wrong." Don't you think I wish I could?

"Nothing." I growled, before stalking out of the room. I couldn't tell him what his blanket reminded me of. I couldn't let him know that Bren wasn't as perfect as he thought he was, that everyone thought he was. I couldn't tell him because it would not only ruin his career but the reputation of our school as well. Bren had trusted me with a secret and I would do everything in my power to keep it.

***AN***

Thoughts?

I'd love to hear them!

~ChasingMadness24