Chapter One: The Train

Families have wept, Escorts have laughed, and now the District Citizens will go feast in celebration that their precious offspring were spared their lives for another year.

Now we all sit in fully furnished rooms, eating delectable food, and laying on exquisite sheets. But none of us could be more miserable then we are right now. Even those of us who chose this path realize that we may be in our final days. Only one can win and what better way to die than on national television for all to see. 

We all sit here and reflect on what we're getting ourselves into. We think of who we left behind-whether they be family or friends- and wonder how things will change if we never come back. 

The tributes from Four clutch together, the two from Seven dare to gaze at each other. The surly one from District One punches at the air, while her partner sits and glowers. And all the while, Gamemakers have already begun preparing a grand arena for our tributes. Mentors have begun taking sponsors, and Escorts have changed into their third outfits of the day. 

As we all put our heads on our pillows tonight, we listen to trains on the tracks, moving closer and closer to the Capitol- and thusly- our deaths. 

Goodnight, Cruel World. We bid you farewell. But for now it might be, that we'll stay for a while. So give us our peace, and let the odds give us favor. We dawddle in nightmares, grinding our teeth. But we'll see you later, Capitol you beast.

Sincerely, The President.