Aryana Grain

District 9 Female: (The_Hunger_Game)

Name:Aryana Grain

District:9

Family: Miller

Intro:

"Would you want me to volunteer for you, if you got picked?" 

     "Miller!" I cry, slapping him on the arm. "Don't you ever ask that."

    Looking away from me, Miller says, "I'd do it, you know. If that were possible."

     A shiver runs up my spine. That 's the problem for me. I know he would. 

     "Sow is in the reaping today."

I try to keep the nervousness out of my tone. The thought of my little 12 year old sister in the Hunger Games was too much. 

     "I'd volunteer for her too."

"Stop it, Miller," I reply, but my heart isn't in it. "She won't be reaped. I have my name in there 25 times. There's no worry."

       "There's always a worry, Ry," Miller says in a flat tone. 

      I just nod. 

For a minute or two we stare at the seemingly endless fields of grain to the left of my house. To the right is the road, leading into the town. 

     "We better get going," I say, straightening out the creases in my lacy, faded pink dress. 

    "What about Sow?" Miller asks. 

"She's still eating breakfast. My Dad's going to take her over in a little bit."

     Saying nothing, we begin to walk along that sad little road into town.

As we walk, we pass other children on their way to the reaping. Unlike other days, nobody nods politely or says hello. We just stare ahead blankly, thinking thoughts we probably shouldn't be. 

   Suddenly, Miller takes my hand in his. I'm about to ask him why, but I stop. It's better not to say anything. On a day like this, I need someone to hold my hand. 

    We reach the marble steps of the Justice Building. I spot Miller's parents standing just behind the tape separating children and adults. 

    After checking in Miller and I wait until the rest of the District Nine children come. 

     The Capitol clip comes on.

"War, terrible war..." It begins. I drown out the words. After four years of being eligible for the Hunger Games, I know the clip by heart. 

   I wish I didn't.

The escort plucks a name out of the bowl. 

    "Our female tribute is...Aryana Grain!" 

     Miller grabs my arm, whispering something to me, but his words are just white noise. 

    I feel completely alone as I go up and shake the escort's hand. 

    I don't even pay attention to who the male tribute is. Someone named Caleb, I think. 

    And then they rush me into the Justice Building, closing the doors on the crowd. On my family. On my past. 

      "Feeling excited?" The escort asks me. 

       I just shake my head.