James Westley

District 11 Male: (Xela732)

James Westley  

Age: 16

Gender: Male

District: 11

Family: Mom, Dad, little brother and sister

Relationship: Carla Timerse

House: shack on the edge of the orchards with 4 rooms (bathroom, kitchen, kids room and parents bedroom), broken walls and leaky roof. Only door is to the bathroom.  

I wake early on the day of the reaping. The day I had been dreading every day, every year. The day when two children where chosen to go into the hunger games. The fight to the death. 2 from each district. Starting from 1 and reaching all the way to 12. The poorest district. I hear the rumors of the things there and all I can think is that they don't have it as bad as us.  I pull myself up and off my thin mattress and step around my little brother and sisters tiny bodies and go through the doorway to the kitchen. I take one of the few bruised apples from the food bowl and step outside.  Skinny starved children are already starting to pick the fruit in the trees. I hike to my selected field and start plucking the apples. I can see my face in each shiny red piece of fruit. Their fresh feeling tempt me so much but I ignore it. I spend the morning picking the row of trees with the other people that work for our manager, Mr Cree.  The people start climbing from the trees and heading towards town square.

Soon it is only me and a few other people. I am on the last tree before I can go. I pick the last apple from the tree and look into it. It is so perfect. No bruises, no flaws. Without knowing what I am doing, I reach it up to my mouth and slowly take a bite I climb the rest of the way and I am enveloped in flavor. That is probably why I don't notice the peacekeeper patrolling the grounds.  "Oi! Kid, you should be heading to the reaping!" He shouts and I look up in surprise. I quickly hide the apple behind my back. Bad move.  "What was that?" He asks, coming over.  "Nothing." I reply, a little too quickly. He reaches over and pulls my arms around with a simple move. He takes the apple and spins it in his hand. Then he notices the bite.  "Trying to steal fruit were you?" He says. "You'll get a whipping for that."

Fear grows inside me and I don't know what I was thinking but I did the unimaginable. I kicked him and started sprinting towards the square. He swears and turns to run after me. Although I had a decent head start, he was trained to be faster. Soon he is right behind me and grabs me so tight I squeal. 

"You're going to regret that." He growls and pins my arms behind my back. He pushes me towards the town square and my stomach starts to churn.  "Don't hurt my family. Please! Do anything you want to me, but don't hurt my family." I say. "What are you going to do to me?" "Well, it's not whipping." He laughs, but his laugh has an evil edge to it. "What then?" He looks down at me with a grin.  "Ever heard of the hunger games?"  I feel my face go white. Anything but that.  His evil laugh fills my ears and echoes around the field.

I was going into the hunger games.