prologue

March 30, 2006

Hi dear diary, I have decided to write on you. But it won't be my every day life. It will only be about this day.....

I am sitting in my room with my door locked from inside. Windows are also closed with curtains covering the sunlight which is trying to get into my room. Of course I can't write without any lights on. So I am writing now when there is enough light for me to write. I am sitting on my bed. Though I knew I am imagining but I swear to you, this imagination has scared me a lot. I can feel a woman behind the mirror..... only problem is there is no space behind to hide. Am I dreaming too much?

Samyuktha has turned twelve years today. She doesn't celebrate her birthday just like everyone do. Her life is different on her special day. Whoever speaks with her or tries to be friendly with her face death that day itself. Few survive it and other unlucky fellows die. Well she can't blame herself but all her family and her friends have better knowledge not to be with her on that day. People wish her before the day and give presents before or after the day but never on the same day.

It started on her day of birth. Her grandmother died on that day. All felt sad and did not celebrate her first birthday. So nothing happened that day.

Next year her parents planned a big party with her father being so excited and enthusiastic to celebrate his only child's birthday. Everyone's joy left them when he met with an accident. By dumb luck or something else he survived it. People thought it as a coincidence.

Slowly her next five years turned out sad to her family and especially the persons who had near death experience or died in the accident.Samyuktha then started to lock herself in her room. Her family is rich....she had a lot of money. ....but she understood that money will never save a life that is lost on her birthday. She looked at the book she got from her friend yesterday as a present. They will not call her. Her family keeps all the food required for that day but truth be told, she never touches the food as she cries openly for the unknown curse she has....she believes it is a curse. Unfortunately she doesn't know how to lift it and she realised she can't get away from it.