Chapter Thirteen │ Laser Tag

Start from the beginning

"You'd take advantage of my goods," I tease.

He laughs and squeezes me a bit tighter.

"Ryder?" I ask after a moment.

"Angel?" He responds.

"Stop walking so slow. I can tell you're doing it on purpose."

"Damn it, I was hoping you wouldn't notice," he murmurs, and then louder, "maybe I'm just walking slow because you're heavy."

"Right. That's why." I lift my head to raise a skeptical eyebrow at him. He isn't even breaking a sweat. His heart is pounding faster and his breathing is a little heavier, but the look in his eyes tells me it's not from the weight of my body.

As if to prove a point, he starts walking even slower and making exaggerated noises about how heavy I am.

"Ryder!" I exclaim, hitting his arm when I hear mumble something about me "weighing like three hundred pounds."

"Well, maybe you should put me down then," I huff, pushing away from him until he let me down onto my feet. I storm off before he can say anything and he immediately comes after me. By the time he takes my arm and turns me around, a tear is running down my cheek.

He freezes as he sees it and then he's brushing it away, murmuring to me under his breath. "Angel? Are you crying? I'm so sorry, I didn't mean it. Please don't cry. I'll do anything."

And then I burst out laughing.

"Got you!" His eyes widen at my sudden outburst, then narrow as he registers my words.

"Emma. . . did you just play me?" He asks slowly, like he wants me to think very carefully before I answer.

Ha! He clearly doesn't know me very well. "Yup."

"And that tear was fake?"

"Yup."

"So you better run?"

"Yu─oh sh─" He's charging at me faster than I speak, much less run, so I'm basically just standing stock still when he throws me over his shoulder. He then does the one thing I hate the most.

And tickles me.

One of his hands is keeping me steady while the other is tickling me all over my body. I'm laughing so hard I can't breathe, so I take my hand and shove it on his neck, trying to inflict some of this torture back to him. It doesn't work.

He immediately stops when I tell him I can't breathe, and slowly lowers me down, our bodies rubbing against each other every inch of the way. Our laughter slows as we stare at each other, and I can feel the atmosphere around us change.

Hot damn.

We went from goofing around to ready-to-rumble in point five seconds.

Ryder's hand slowly slides up my back to grip my hair as he tilts my head back. His eyes are dark as he starts leaning in, closer and closer, and I. . .

Burst out laughing.

Again.

"What is this a Lifetime movie? A romance novel?" I'm still giggling. "Their laughter slowly fades away as they gaze passionately into each other's eyes," I mock.

Ryder doesn't look quite as amused as I am though, he looks disappointed and a bit hurt as he leads me back to the car. "Whatever. Let's just go."

It hits me then how incredibly messed up what I did was. What if, when I was asking Sean out the other day, he just laughed in my face like that? How would I feel?

My eyes follow his back as he walks to the car by himself, drifting to where he held his keys rock tight in his hand.

Crap. What've I done?

❀ ✿ ❀

This chapter's kind of meh (but I hope you don't agree).

It's also short, but I figured I'd give you guys what I had instead of making you wait any longer. (Sorry about that BTW, teehee)

THANK YOU FOR 80K READS!! I KNOW I NEGLECT YOU GUYS, BUT I STILL LOVE YOU!

The picture below is how Ryder held Emma.