Chapter Ten │ I Scream

Chapter Ten • I Scream

 Ryder kept his word about not talking. He sulked in silence while I spoke with Sean. He didn't, however, keep his word about the whole 'no funny business' thing, because after a while of sulking he decided to start playing with my hair. And if that wasn't bad enough, every time Sean said something slightly flirty or tried touching me, I would hear a thump from underneath the table and Sean would wince and continue on like it never even happened.

Besides those things though, the date was pretty good. The only reason I wasn't too upset about Ryder being there was because I had a feeling that this date with Sean wouldn't be our last, and any others we have, well, we'll just have to make sure and keep them from Ryder.

As our date comes to an end, we all walk outside into the crisp, cool air. "Hey, Sean? Thanks for tonight, I had a really nice time."

"Yeah, me too. We should do this again sometime."

I nod, "Definitely."

He leans forward to give me a kiss on the check, but a little growl of warning from Ryder stops him in his tracks. He instead settles for a wave goodbye. "Alright, Em. I'll see you later."

"Yeah and sorry again, about him," I jerk my head in Ryder's direction.

"No problem. You'll just have to make it up to me," he winks and I laugh as I watch him walk away.

Ryder's immediately by my side. "Do you need a ride home?"

"No. Wes is picking me up."

He shakes his head. "Tell him that I'll drop you home."

"What? No."

"Why not? It's better than us sitting inside waiting for him to come." I didn't respond.

". . . and I'll get you ice cream on the way there."

Annnnd sold.

Call me a fatty, but I was not giving up ice cream.

He smiles when I roll my eyes and motion for him to lead me to his car. "You're so cute," he murmurs, tapping my nose with his finger.

As we walk to his car, he brushes past me to open the door. I thank him.

I don't know why we bother driving, though. Cold Stone is like two minutes away from here, we could just walk.

And just as I said, two minutes later, we pull up in front of Cold Stone.

"So, what flavour ice cream do you want, Em?"

"Cake Batter with rainbow sprinkles," I say without a second thought. He chuckles, shaking his head. "You coming in?"

I nod. "Sure."

There isn't that much people inside and seeing that there's a lot of tables free, I decide to stand in line with Ryder.

When it's our turn to order, the cute brunette standing behind the counter, Sarah, her nametag says, smiles at Ryder as if I don't exist, and asks him what he wants.

"Two Cake Batters, with rainbow sprinkles, please." I look at him in surprise, "You're getting cake batter too?"

He shrugs, "I wanna see why you like it so much."

"So you've never tried it before, then?"

"Nope."

I was kind of excited for him to try it now, as weird as that sounds. I love watching people's reactions as they try something new, whether it's good or bad.