Chapter Eight │ Date Night

Chapter Eight • Date Night

 I think about Sean a lot on my way to school. About how funny he is and how he always makes me laugh with one of his jokes or impressions. About how much of a great guy he is, and okay, okay, let's be honest. . .about how freaking hot he is. I'm probably spending a little too much time thinking about that last one. I was just in the middle of mini fantasy too, when Wes's phone rang.

He puts it on speakerphone. "Hey Mom."

"Hi honey, I was just calling to tell that I got that rash cream you wanted for your─" Wes instantly blushes, "Mom you're on speaker!"

I almost die laughing.

"Oh! Sorry, who's with you?"

"Emma."

I could practically hear her eyes rolling through the phone. "Wes it's just your sister, there's nothing to be embarrassed about. As I was saying, I got the rash cream, but you're going to have to come and pick it up from work because I'm working late again, alright?" Mom's a surgeon, which means she has some crazy work hours, but I'm really proud of her; there weren't a lot of female surgeons in the world. Ironically, Dad is a nurse, so that's how they met.

"Ok Mom, I'll see you later."

"Love you." "Love you too."

"Tell Emma I love her."

"You're still on speaker, Mom. Love you," I say, trying not to laugh. "Right, I forgot! Bye." She hangs up the phone and I burst out laughing. "Rash cream? I don't even want to know."

"Shut up. It's not funny," he glares, which obviously makes me laugh harder.

Mundane fool.

• • •

Around lunch I finally tell Amber about Sean asking me out last night. Her reaction was stronger than mine.

"Oh my God! No way!" She squeals into my ear, practically bouncing in her seat. "You have to tell me everything. Where is he taking you? What are you gonna wear? Did you find out why he took so long to ask you again in the first place?"

"Um, I don't know, I don't know, and kind of?"

"So you don't know where he's taking you yet, huh?" Ryder asks quietly from my side.

"No, I was gonna ask him after lunch."

His following smile is slightly cruel. "Why not ask him now?"

He gets up and stalks over to the table Sean is sitting at, before grabbing him by his t-shirt and dragging him back to our table. "Ryder! What the hell are you doing?!"

He doesn't answer me and instead turns to a terrified looking Sean. "So Sean, Emma here wants to know where you're taking her for your little date tonight. Mind telling us where you're going?"

"U-uh no we're going to a restaurant just a couple blocks away from here."

"The one across from the mall?"

"Y-yeah." He lingers for a couple seconds, like he was deciding if he should speak or not. "Look, I know you told me to stay awa─"

"That'll be all." Ryder cuts him off with a dark look.

Stay away from what? Me? Is that why Sean was acting like that yesterday? Had Ryder threatened him?

I need answers! But before I could get them Sean runs off.

I turn to glare at Ryder. "Was that necessary?"

"For my sanity? Yes."

"I think there's a lot to question about your sanity."

He laughs.

"Good one, Angel."

• • •

It's 7:50 when Wes drops me off at the restaurant. It was originally supposed to be Sean that picked me up, but Wes insisted that he drop me off instead, claiming he wanted to 'check the place out'. Whatever that means.

As soon as I get out of the car, Sean calls me over. I groan when I see him sitting in one of the outdoor booths. I knew I should have worn a jacket.

"Hey Sean."

He looks up, smiles, checks me out. "Hey, you look beautiful."

"Thank you," I smile, shivering when a cool breeze blows by. He notices. "I know, it's cold. I tried to get us indoor seating, but in there's packed."

"It's fine, really. I'll get used to it."

"I would offer you my jacket, you know. . .if I brought one." I laugh. "It's okay, I didn't bring one either, obviously."

After that, the date starts off with a breeze. All of our conversations flow into one another and the more we talk the less I notice the cold, so I don't realize I'm shivering until the waiter comes to ask us what we would like to drink.

"Um, Sprite please," he nods and turns to Sean, "I'll have the same, thank you."

When the waiter walks away, Sean continues where we left off, which is in the process of using his best pick up lines on me.

"I didn't know angels flew so low," he winks, trying to deepen his voice. I burst out laughing, "Oh my gosh, Sean, that was horrible!"

"Okay, let me try again," he clears his throat. "You must be Jamaican," he pauses, "because Jamaican me crazy."

I was laughing even harder now. "Wait, this one's my favorite, it's Harry Potter themed. You going to bed alone? Or do you mind if I. . .Slytherin?"

"Okay, that one was by far  the only one that would work on me."

I start laughing once again, but stop when I notice someone standing a few feet from our table.

Ryder.

❀ ✿ ❀

Okay, so I'm sure you guys expected that to happen. It's not like it's uncommon on Wattpad or anything, but what's going down next chapter is hopefully not going to be like something you've seen a million times before.

:) Thanks for reading and voting and commenting! 

What Emma wore is on top!

Dedicated to: JUSTsomeWriter69 for voting so much! ♥