Chapter Forty-Seven

The commotion coming down the stairs to the dungeon immediately had Reylor sitting up in his cell. He heard them before they came into view, but soon a member of the palace guard rushed past, followed by the palace's lead healer, holding a blanket-wrapped bundle in her arms.

Alexstrayna had the babies.

An odd sense of pride coursed through him at the sudden realization, but he wouldn't allow himself such a moment of weakness. He walked up to the bars of his cell to get a better look at the passersby, but they disappeared into the infirmary before they could be questioned.

He sensed something was off by their sudden urgency, and his suspicions were confirmed as another palace guard arrived, followed by the Empress' Mistress who carried another bundle.

The Mistress caught his eye as she passed, and he readied himself. His years of planning were culminating to fruition.

His time had come.

Reylor strained his ears for the slightest hint as to what was happening behind the infirmary's door, closed to him like protective armor, not allowing even a whisper to escape.

That was, of course, until the screams began.

He watched the door intently, knowing that whoever emerged next would determine his fate.

After what felt like an eternity, the Mistress stepped from behind the closed door. In her arms, she still held a wrapped bundle that cried as she hurried over to his cell.

"I apologize for the delay, my lord," she apologized as the keys jingled in her other hand while she struggled to unlock the door. "There were some complications."

"So it would seem." He looked toward the infirmary, a bloodied hand in view through the door. "Where is the other?"

"As I said, there were complications." She followed his gaze toward the infirmary, where the erratic crying of a baby could be heard. "The Councillor does not believe she will last the night."

Reylor turned to her, a look of utter shock upon his face. "She?"

The mistress nodded. "Aye, my lord, and the look on the Crown Prince's face matched the one on yours right now."

He glared at her slightly. Was that his doing as well?

"And the Empress? What of her well-being?"

He could not refrain himself from asking, and the mistress seemed annoyed at his inquiry. "She is stable. For now."

Reylor felt a movement within his heart that he hadn't experienced in quite some time. Was it relief? Remorse? Guilt? He didn't have the time to consider it as the lock to his cell finally gave way.

"Come, my lord." Her tone was sultry as she led the way out from the cell block. "Let us return home."

"We have one more stop before we leave," Reylor reminded her as he followed up the stairs, and as they surfaced within the palace, he led her down the hall toward the library that housed the Annals.