Chapter Forty

It wasn't the plan Alex had in mind, but it would have to do for the moment. She didn't resist when they put the rope on her wrists, but every inch of her being screamed in revolt at the feeling of the fibers against her skin. If she showed any sign of resistance, however, all of the planning and research she and Treyan and the Councillor had done over these last few weeks would be a waste. There would be time to give into overthinking later; they were going to take her to exactly where she needed to be. Being escorted inside the castle was much more convenient than trying to sneak in.

With Reylor in the lead and Alex close behind, the group worked its way slowly up the stable stairs. She kept her head down as they made their ascent, her mind racing through the possible scenarios awaiting her as soon as they were back inside the castle.

In no way did she want to be back.

She never wanted to step foot within the Borderlands again, never mind Reylor's castle.

But in her head, and in her heart, she knew that this task needed to be completed. She knew that the fear and panic that wanted to tear her apart from the inside needed to be held at bay because the Empire needed her to do this, now more than ever. She and Treyan needed this if there would ever be a chance for them to live the lives they were destined for. The longer Reylor went unpunished, the longer their lives—their Empire—were at stake. The Empire would never get the full attention it deserved—not if she kept wondering if Reylor would ever make an appearance again. Turning back now was not an option.

Once they entered the main floor of the castle, the door to the stairway was closed and locked behind them. Alex cringed as the sound echoed through the hallway. Reylor smirked, and with a nod, dismissed all but two of his mages, who remained behind Alex as they proceeded down a nearby foyer.

He led them to a small sitting room where he paused outside the doorway to turn his attention to his mages. He held out his hand, and the mage to his right handed him a dagger. Alex flinched as Reylor turned in her direction but slowly opened her eyes when she discovered he was only cutting the rope at her wrists.

Without a word, he grabbed her by the elbow and led her into the room, closing the door behind them before his mages could enter. Alex wrenched herself out of his grasp and hurried as far away from him as the small room would allow.

He merely watched her with his back against the door, the same amused smile across his lips.

"So tell me, Empress, to what do I owe this honor?" The confidence in his tone was astounding.

Alex tried her best to return the confidence while she rubbed at the rope burns on her wrists. "You already knew I was coming by the warm welcome I received, so why don't you tell me?"

His smirk never left his face. "We had been expecting you for a while. Of course, I knew the moment my patrol reported back that there was a scout within the tree line that you had finally found your way back. From there, we monitored the boundary line closely with our own scouts—who are much better at their job than you, I might add—and when it was discovered that the Empire's own Queen Empress was gracing us with her presence, well..." He smiled his disgusting smile. "We couldn't let your arrival into the Borderlands occur without fanfare."

Alex shrugged. "Congratulations, you caught me." There was no point in arguing.

"Yes, but now the question is...why?" He stepped away from the door and walked over to her. Instinctively, she backed away from him, but the room was so small she ended up in a corner. He was too close for comfort, and all she could do was close her eyes and take deep breaths to keep herself calm. She wasn't going to allow him to do what he wanted this time, and needed to keep a level head if she was going to escape unscathed.

"Tell me, Alexstrayna," he whispered as he leaned in closer. "What made you come back? Did you realize your rightful place was by my side? Did you want the twins to be raised by a father who could help them achieve their true potential? Or did you just want more?" His hand came down to touch her stomach and she felt her temper rise.

"You said so yourself. Nothing more than a scouting mission," she answered through clenched teeth.

He chuckled at her expense. "You expect me to believe that? There's no possible way Treyan or his Councillor would ever allow the pregnant Queen Empress out of their possessive sight." His hand went to her cheek, and she closed her eyes tight at the sickening memory of his touch. "No, there's something else going on here. We just need to find out what it is."

He brushed her hair out of her face, and the Mark upon her forehead came into view.

"Shit," she swore under her breath.

"Oh, what is this? Empress, have you met my mother?" His fingers brushed against her scar. She wasn't purposefully trying to hide the Mark, but it would have been better if he hadn't discovered it.

"The Mark of the Empress," he continued thoughtfully. "I suppose, then, my plan is working out perfectly."

He began kissing her neck, almost as if he was taking it upon himself to celebrate some victory. She swallowed hard, looking anywhere but at him. Remain calm, she instructed herself. Keep centered and think quickly.

She decided to play his game.

"All in due time, my lord."

He stopped and looked up at her, as though uncertain he heard her correctly. "My lord, you say? I do like the sound of that. Yes, Empress, we will have plenty of time"

His eyes remained on hers for a moment, the blood red irises defining his current position in life.

He grabbed her arm suddenly, which interrupted her train of thought, and began walking to the door. "Since you're going to be staying with us, we'll need to make you comfortable. I'll offer you my quarters, of course."

"That won't be necessary," she tried to interrupt.

"You know better than that, Empress. I'm sure you'll want to bathe before tonight's celebration."

"What celebration?" she asked cautiously.

Reylor leered at her as he glanced down from the corner of his eye. "Your return must be celebrated! You've been missed dreadfully since your departure."

"You mean, since you let me leave."

"I released you with a purpose, which seemed to work out better than expected, for here you are." He smirked again, appearing proud of himself.

She bit her tongue. She only needed to bide her time, allow the moon to rise, and be done with this once and for all.