Chapter Eighteen

Alex awoke the next morning to knocking at the door. As Treyan was already awake and dressed while she was naked and lounging in bed, he did her the favor of checking to see who could have been disrupting the Empress' extremely comfortable slumber. He must have opened the door for she could hear the faint mumble of a hushed conversation in the distance. The door closed again and soon he was sitting next to her on the bed.

"The time has come, my Empress," he whispered as he brushed hair out of her face.

She peered up at him through half-closed eyes. "Whatever happened to letting me have my beauty sleep?"

"You are apparently beautiful enough, for the Mistresses have arrived to prepare you for the day."

"What mistresses?"

He smiled. "Mallia is here with her assistants—the Mistresses are the personal handmaidens to the Empress. They enlist as of the day of your coronation and will remain with you until the end of your reign."

"Why weren't they here before?" she asked as she stifled a yawn.

"Why would we employ anyone if you weren't certain you were going to stay?"

"So, because of that, I'm now to have my own entourage?" She scooted to a sitting position, keeping a sheet up to her chest, just in case someone else decided to pay her an unexpected visit.

"Well, you've already met Mallia, and with her will be two more she'll introduce, working under her supervision. Consider them an entourage if you will, but they're also here for you."

"So, they're Empire-approved friends?" She smirked.

"If you want that, too, yes."

The thought of having someone other than Treyan to spend her time with did seem like an interesting prospect.

"Well, I suppose that will make mornings easier." She stretched, forgetting the protective sheet for the moment. "And who will dress you today, my prince?"

He smirked, handing her the discarded blanket. "Sadly, I am not as lucky as the Empress and must depend on my own abilities to prepare for the day." He stood and bowed to her. "That being said, we must part ways."

"You're not staying?"

"Absolutely not. It's bad luck to see the Empress before the coronation...or something like that." He gave her a wink and headed toward the door, giving Mallia a hug and a peck on the cheek on his way by her.

Once he left, the Mistresses filed in. There were three of them all together. Aside from Mallia, they were dressed rather plainly, outfitted in simple dresses with their hair tied in neat buns. One was younger and closer to Alex's age. Mallia introduced her as Bria, and the woman with light russet hair and dark brown eyes seemed more than eager to help in any way she could. The other woman, who Mallia referred to as Drew, seemed much older with silver-gray hair and black eyes — pleasant enough, but quiet with a tenseness in her shoulders and a pucker to her lips. None of them delayed in beginning their expected duties. Bria went into the washroom to draw a bath, while Drew walked to the armoire, leaving Mallia to draw back the curtains to allow the sunlight to shine into the room.

Alex realized she was still in bed and naked, but the Mistresses didn't seem to mind. Once Mallia was done with the windows, she picked up Alex's discarded robe from the end of the bed and held it out and open for Alex. It took her a moment to realize Mallia wanted her to put it on, and Alex nodded her thanks and stepped into the robe, tying it around her waist as Mallia ushered her from the bed toward the washroom.

The bath was already drawn by the time she entered. Large white and pink bubbles rose to the surface of the tub as Bria awaited her entrance. Mallia left them as quickly as they arrived, and just like a relay, the younger Mistress was already upon her, offering to assist in removing the robe from her shoulders. Alex quickly untied it to allow for the robe's easy removal, and while uttering her apologies, stepped into the tub one leg at a time.