Chapter Forty-Six

Treyan carried Alex back to their room while her body convulsed with each contraction. Her screams rang throughout the palace, and she didn't care who heard her. Bria helped her out of her dress and into a more suitable nightgown while the Councillor summoned the healer to assist in the inevitable delivery. The plans for Alex to deliver in her room rather than the infirmary when the time came had been previously made, so the necessary supplies were already stashed within the room. The idea behind it was the less Reylor knew, the better. As it was, her screams would be notice enough; he didn't need to know of something potentially going wrong.

She was brought to her bed and propped up with pillows to help relieve the pain as spare blankets were strewn around her in preparation for what was to come. She tried her hardest to breathe, but the world around her was seeped in chaos and she did all she could to keep from biting off her own tongue.

She knew the babies were coming, and they were coming fast. Yet, things were not as they should have been. She sensed the magic there.

This was Reylor's doing.

And it was going to kill her from the inside out.

She rendered herself hoarse as she screamed for Treyan. Having been in the hall to give the guards on duty their orders, he ran into the room and was by her side in an instant, but she could tell by the look on his face that the situation was taking a turn for the worse.

Bria and the healer alternated between placing cool cloths on her head to keep her fever down and wrapping her in blankets to keep out the chill, but the contractions kept coming, and she was still losing blood.

Treyan stayed with her, holding her hands as he tried to keep her breathing, but as the hours passed the Councillor required his attention and the two walked from the room. She didn't know how long he was gone. Every second felt like a lifetime. But when he returned to her side, the look in his eyes told her the outlook was not positive.

"Alex," he whispered, his voice soft, but she could hear the fear beneath it. "The twins cannot be born on their own. They are going to need assistance, for their well-being and..." He paused and swallowed. "And yours."

Another searing contraction coursed through her, and she gripped Treyan's hands tight while her body writhed.

"You need...to get...them out..." she gasped through her deep breaths.

"We have no anesthesia, but I can put you to sleep. There is no guarantee it will work, or that you'll..." He couldn't finish the sentence, but Alex knew.

She had always known.

With a nod they quickly went to work.

Treyan stayed close, holding her against him while the Councillor and the mistress assisted the healer with the birthing preparations.

Soon, the Councillor approached Treyan, placing a hand on his shoulder as he quietly nodded. Alex could feel Treyan's body tense, but she found herself more than ready to proceed.

Treyan leaned over and gave her a kiss on the lips and then rested his brow on her forehead while he chanted quietly.

Alex felt herself drift away slowly, finally at peace while the hours of distress began to wash away.

Until the cold, harsh, searing torment of the healer's knife tore into her abdomen, sending her subconscious into an endless pit of anguish and desolation.