Chapter 11

Eric's POV

The sole looming figure that had been walking through the jungle mist separated and formed into two figures who stepped out from the shadows, clad in black from head to toe. Camo style bandanas covered most of their faces except for their eyes. They carried themselves like soldiers, barely giving us a once over before the one on the left cleared his throat. They both looked eerily alike to each other, the same posture, similar curly brown hair, and sharp brown eyes. Despite all of that, they both looked pristine and chipper, not a wrinkle or bag under their eyes.

"Are you two the agents sent from R.I.P?" he asked us in a monotone voice.

"No, we're just wandering about in the jungle, do you happen to know where the bathroom around here is? The boat ride was kind of long," Akio replied sarcastically, and I rolled my eyes. The pair seemed unimpressed.

"What he means is yes, I'm Agent Alonso, and this is Agent Hayashi," I explained. The pair was still a good five feet away, so I didn't extend my hand out to them, but after a few seconds, they nodded their heads.

"Follow us, agents," the one on the right said this time. I began to walk after them, but Akio stepped ahead of me and placed a hand on my chest, stopping me in my path and pulling me aside.

"Do you think this is a good idea?" he asked me in a low whisper

"Do you think this is a good idea?" he asked me in a low whisper. The men up ahead had not stopped to wait for us but were walking a slow pace as if giving us time to hesitate and turn back around.

"What's wrong?" I asked him.

"You don't think that some facility in the deep dark Brazilian jungle isn't sketchy? At all? I mean, they didn't even ask us for identification or anything," Akio raised his brows incredulously at me. The truth is yes, this entire mission was entirely off the map and entirely risky, but I need to follow this lead.

"All missions are dangerous Akio, let's move before they leave us behind," I replied, shrugging off his hand and walking away. He muttered something under his breath, shaking his head but carried on after me.

"You two all good back there?" one of the men called out without bothering to look behind him, almost indifferently.

"Yeah, we're right behind you," I assured him, but they both just continued to walk in silence. Akio walked beside me reluctantly, looking around the jungle floors as if hoping a giant boa constrictor would slither by and take him out of his misery.

I was starting to think it might have been a better idea to bring Blaire or Jacob along instead, but Blaire would've told Charlee and Jacob would never have shut up about how the humidity in the jungle was damaging his hair.

I tried to pay attention to the twists and turns of the jungle, but it felt like we were going in circles. There was no obvious path, and all the trees looked similar to one another. The canopy was so high that sunlight was the only thing streaming in on occasion. I doubt a helicopter would ever see us from up above.