Chapter 6

"Who's here so early?" Eric grumbled as we were startled awake by a knock at our door. I got up from the bed and the comfort of the warm sheets. I walked across the floor of our room and headed towards the kitchen. I felt the cold tiles under my feet as I padded barefoot towards the big wooden door and stood on my tiptoes to look through the peephole towards the outside.

"It's just Diane," I informed Eric, spotting my assistant who was standing out on our front steps. I opened the door for her, and she greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning," I told her, allowing her to come in. She was carrying two large boxes, and I could barely see the top of her head over them. Eric finally came to his senses and also got up to help her.

"I'm so sorry to wake you up Agent Wynters, but the files from New York finally got here, and I thought it would be best to deliver them personally to you," she told me, and I smiled gratefully.

"Thank you so much," I placed the boxes down. I had asked Agent Reynolds to ship the files here to Italy as soon as he could because there were far too many for us to have moved them the day we found them without causing suspicion.

"Of course, and if you need anything else just let me know," Diane reassured me, moving aside her brown curly hair before walking out. Our apartment was located in Rome just a few miles away from Head Quarters, but only my assistant and team knew the exact address.

It was a very private apartment with its patio and beige walls that made a person feel sophisticated. With its tall arches and grand doors, it was easy to forget there was a whole other world outside of our cozy home. There was a spare room, a bathroom, and an office upstairs while our kitchen, living room, and bedroom were all downstairs.

I was in love with the green double doors that led out to our patio. They were heavy like that of a castle's gates. The patio always felt fresh like a morning after a summer rain. Eric had put all his spare time in planting things here and there in our courtyard.

I had teased him saying that if he couldn't keep a couple of potted seeds alive that there would be no way to take care of a baby in the future. So far, he has surprised me, and the plants have beautifully bloomed into our tiny garden where I currently sat with a file in my lap and a mug of hot coffee in my hand. This file was just one of the many that I was going to have to read.

"I think I'm going to have to run to the nearest pet store," Eric interrupted my train of thought, and I looked up from my reading, giving him a confused expression.

"Why do you need to go to a pet store?" I asked him as I took a sip of my coffee.

"It seems Agent Reynolds has also shipped the fish, but we don't have a fish tank or food for them," Eric explained showing me the other box Diane had brought. The colorful fish were swimming around in plastic bags full of water, probably running out of oxygen as we spoke.

"Dammit, why would he do that?" I asked.

"Well, they were your parents' fish and with them gone no one would be able to feed them," Eric reasoned, and I agreed the unlucky fish would have died if they stayed behind.

"We can leave them in a bucket for now," I suggested.

"Yeah, I'll go tomorrow and pick up a fish tank,"

"Alright, but don't forget about getting to the airport on time, so you and Akio don't miss your flight," I reminded him. He and Akio were heading to Australia tomorrow night to work on a case they had been consulting. I reserved the private jet for them, but if they missed their flight, it would put us all behind schedule.

"Don't worry. I got this. Let's go we have to present the information we have so far," Eric said, taking the files away from me. I mentally groaned because I didn't want to have to get changed out of my pajamas. Oh, the struggles...