Chapter 4

"This is insane," Eric shook his head, and I knew he was angry for the both of us

"This guy left absolutely nothing behind. No tire tracks, trash, fingerprints, nothing," Blaire sighed.

"Guys, we're looking at the wrong place," I told them as we stood in front of the Hudson River, barren of anything that could be useful to us. The crime scene investigators were unable to find anything, and we were just as lucky.

"This is the crime scene, and it's completely meticulous," Eric told me.

"No, this is the dumpsite. The suspect didn't kill my parents here, he only left them here for us to find," I reasoned with them.

"But there was nothing found at the house either?" Tiffany stated more as a question than anything else.

"I don't think the house is the scene of the crime either. Its somewhere in between but we need to start at the beginning," I explained.

"Alright, well let's get a move on then," Eric said placing a pair of sunglasses over his eyes and sauntered away from the crime scene, ducking under the yellow tape and climbing back into the sedan without another word.

"He's been pretty quiet," Blaire commented as we all trailed behind him.

"Eric is just worried about everything. I know he wants to help, but he also wants to protect me from having to deal with everything. We can't do both," I shrugged my shoulders and she smiled sympathetically, but I caught her stealing a look at Jacob. I wondered how everything was between them.

"You know, he's right. You can't be an agent at every waking hour. When was the last time you thought about the wedding?" she asked me quirking an eyebrow at me knowingly.

"I haven't had time to plan a wedding when I'm busy planning a funeral," I countered, and she sighed.

"Point taken but Charlee, your parents, would have wanted to see you get married. Don't feel like you need to give up everything that gives you joy in your life, ok? I want to see you happy again, and I know it isn't going to happen today or tomorrow but don't lock yourself away. We're here too," she assured me, but I didn't reply.

I looked outside the car window as familiar streets whizzed by like stolen memories. Today was a cold day, but the sun still shone on my face, and I closed my eyes feeling weightless. My parents raised me to be an independent person who understood the risks of our job. But right now, as we drove in the car down streets that I knew by memory, I wished for the first time that my family could have been average.

I would give anything to go back to car rides with the radio on, filling the car with a buzzing noise as my mom mouthed the words silently because she always liked to act as if she were in a music video. My dad was drumming his fingers on the steering wheel and stealing glances at my mom, smiling to himself.

He would look at me through the rearview mirror and make funny faces until I would smile back. My brother was pretending that we were all annoying as he played a video game on some handheld device, but I could see he was keeping the rhythm with his feet. I would give anything to go back. Even for just for a second so I could beg my mom to sing the words out loud so I could hear her voice or to see my dad's eyes full of life once again.