Chapter 41 |An Artist's Point of View

It had been a few days since their encounter with the jocks in the park, and their lives progressed without much drama. Some of the previously hostile jocks kept their distance away from the small group, giving them wary eyes before moving on with their current task.

Their lives were relatively peaceful, if not preoccupied. Lars was still trying to muster his courage to ask Claire out, while Hector was getting suspicious of the kangaroo's constant appearance. Josh and Dan were spending more time together, and sleepover was getting more frequent. Their parents even joked that one of them might as well move in.

As for Hugh, he was still hosting Ian in his home, the desperation to be officially with him still increasing, but at a significantly slower rate due to his recent slight 'extravagant' attention he was imposing to the feline. Ian had been wondering if there was another reason behind the changes that occurred around him, instead of the dubious answer Hugh had gave him.

"Just want to try something new," he said when the snow leopard spotted the first change. "Besides, they were wearing out. Might as well make some other changes in the process. No harm done."

True, no harm done, physically. He could have sworn that those changes were meant to ensnare his heart instead of his crush that the bull had mentioned once before. He didn't want any sort of drama to occur, so he tried to push away his feelings. But Hugh wasn't helping much.

"Hey, what're you doing?" a familiar voice reach Ian's ears. His white and black-spotted fur bristled in surprise, nearly staining his fur with paint.

"Hugh!" he immediately moved himself away from the table, turning his attention towards the bovine looming behind him. "How long have you been here?"

"Not long," the bull folded his arms in front of his chest, his muscles visibly flexed through the rather tight T-shirt he chose to wear for the day. "I see you're working on your latest work. Rather diligent, aren't you?"

The feline glance back at the table. A thick A3 drawing block, surrounded by a cup of water, brushes, a rag and a box of water colour took most of the space. A rough sketch had been done on the once pristine white paper, with few colours scattered across the paper.

"Another scenery?" Hugh craned his neck to see the drawing better. He had caught Ian in his room looking through his past works on his table. Shyly, the snow leopard had taken out the rest of his works at his request from the red tote bag he had brought back from his home. Although the bovine wasn't an artist, he could clearly see some of the arts didn't belong to him.

"Some of them were my dad's," he explained with a sad smile. "He worked full time as an artist. He's not that famous, but he managed to sell his works. These are some of his that he couldn't bear to part with, but there are some others that's lost forever."

"What happened?"

"Crystal started throwing them away, deeming they are just trash. I hid the rest as soon as I got the chance."

"Sorry, I shouldn't have asked" he said, guilt ridden.

"It's alright," Ian replied and went back gazing at his father's marvellous works.

"They're really beautiful," Hugh commented, trying to ease the situation. Ian nodded before returning the paintings back to the bag.

Recalling his house had a rather large basement that was currently used as a storage area, after a consent from his parents, Hugh and Aidan got to work to clear out a small part of the area as the feline's small private studio, if he didn't mind being surrounded by other objects that had been kept underground for years. While cleaning up, they found a spare table and a few chairs, discovered a dirty window at the top far end of the basement, and more objects that could have been used instead of just sitting there collecting dust.