Chapter 2 |A New Fur

"Would you like to introduce yourself?" Mrs Hills asked the wolf, who was standing in front of the class.

"Hello, my name is Dan Longfort. Please to meet all of you," he said, his face remained nonchalant.

"Well then, welcome to Starlit High, Dan. I'm Mrs. Hills, your English Language teacher," she smiled warmly, but it had no effect on the grey lupine. Then she turned her attention towards the class, "I hope all of you will help him around the school and make him feel welcome. If he needs assistance, do not ignore it as he is fairly new. Now, where should he sit?"

Josh, like the others, had been staring at the new fur. But he had felt something too. His heart was beating, rapidly. He tried to slow it down but to no avail. It was hardly his fault, Dan was slightly taller than him, perhaps 5'10 feet. He had an average build, but better than Josh, his grey fur was beautiful and his deep brown eyes were enthralling. The furry tail was lazying swaying side by side, as if he didn't care of the fact he was new in this school nor he was attracting a lot of attention, including Josh's.

"Ah, why don't you sit beside Mr. Prowl, Dan?" she suddenly spoke, pointing at the empty table beside Josh, near the window. Dan complied and started to walk towards the table.

By then, Josh's heart was pumping at the strength he thought it would burst out of his ribs. He ducked his head down when Dan approached, trying to hide the blush on his cheeks. Lucky for him, the wolf didn't seem to notice anything abnormal and plopped down onto the chair.

"Alright then, with that settled, please take out your..." The class went on as usual. Mrs. Hills was explaining something, but Josh could hardly concentrate, with Dan sitting beside him, twirling his pen while resting his head on his propped-up arm.

Oh gods, he's damn hot, what am I going to do? Josh thought. I should try to speak with him. Hello, my name is Josh. No, not like that, too formal. Yo, my name is Josh. No! Not that. Hey, my name is Josh. Ok, that sounds stupid. How about- wait, what am I doing, acting like this? He's most probably straight, already got a girlfriend somewhere else. Why the hell do I have such high hopes in getting him? Damn it! This is getting frustrating.

Josh was still in his world when he heard something beside him. Well, it was actually more like someone, not to mention it was the person he had a crush on. Still blushing slightly, he turned his head to look at Dan, who had been making soft sounds to get his attention.

"You're alright?" he whispered.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine, why?"Josh stammered.

"Well, I saw that your tail was lashing out and I thought you had something in your mind."

"Oh, really? I didn't realise," the tiger blushed even more, trying to control his emotion and coil his tail around his waist as additional security. "I'm fine, really, just this class is getting a little boring."

"Well, you're right, I do feel a little bored now," he said.

"Hey, what's your name?" Dan suddenly asked.

"What? Um.. I-I'm Josh, Josh Prowl," he stuttered.

"Josh, eh? Well, I know I've introduced myself, but my name is Dan Longfort. It's nice to meet you, Josh," he said as he stretched out a paw beneath the table for a handshake.

Josh stared at the hand like it was a large piece of diamond. Slowly, he extended his own paw and took it, shaking the rough grey paw firmly. The moment the tiger came in contact with Dan's paw, he thought his heart skipped a beat. He felt a blush spread through his orange and white fur, so he quickly let go and grabbed his pen while facing down, acting as if he was reading the textbook. He tried to peek through his peripheral vision, and spotted that Dan had also resumed his previous position, looking at the whiteboard while twirling his pen.