Chapter 7 |Conversation

"Huh?" the wolf gave a puzzled look.

"I'm being serious here, what do you think about life?" Josh repeated, his face remained passive.

"What kind of question is that?"

"A damn serious question," the big cat's face darken slightly to emphasis his statement. 

"Umm..." Dan lowered his head and thought about it, but he found out the question was a simple one, with no simple answer. Josh had thought too that the question might be too hard for him to fully comprehend, so he opted to start first.

"Maybe it's a bit confusing," he said as he relaxed a bit, hoping that Dan would feel at ease as well while discussing the matter. "I think it's best that I answer it from my own perspective, so you can take it as a reference."

Dan merely nodded before he leaned forward in his seat to listen to what Josh had to say to his own question.

"To me, life is something that you'll only get once," he started. "What you've done, what you've gone through, it's written in your own history. That's why a lot of us are advised to think before we do, because once we've done it, there's no turning back. Everyone would know what he or she had done in the past, and they tend to judge. Because that was what everyone does despite some of them trying to be unbiased, and each of them had different views on different things. Some of them would admire it, some of them would dislike it, even to the extend of hating it and despise the fact itself."

"The problem is, it may not end there. Their descendent may be affected by it, doesn't matter if it is good or bad, they too are judged. But pity is they are not looked by who they are, but who their ancestors are. This can be good, this can be bad, but to me, I think this viewing thing is wrong because it is misdirected. They always thought that who their parents are makes who their children are. This can be true, but not always. Because they are who they are, their children have their own will, their own mind, their own consciousness. That's what make them different, what makes them apart from their ancestors."

"My point is, we have only one life, so it doesn't matter what others have said about how strange we act and how our ancestors were that made us into who we are. We are still us, so we should do what we think is right while we have the chance. As long as it does not seriously harm others or the law, and as long as you think it is right and ok to do so, then we should go for it. Even if we fail, even if others judge us for it, who they are to tell us what we do? Because at least we tried,and it is definitely better than not trying at all."

Josh reached out for his drink and drank thirstily from it. He was finished, he had poured his thought out, and it felt really good. He watched for Dan's reaction, but the wolf seemed stunned by the speech. As the words sank into him, he blinked twice before he munched some chips as he pondered about it. 

"You know what? You're right," he uttered after a while. "I have the same view as you too, but there's something I have to add to it."

"Go on then," the big cat tried to sound relax, but he detected something was off with Dan the moment he said he wanted to add something into his answer.

"Even though you say we should do what we think is right, there are oppositions that would try to block us at every corner. I'm sure we could have overcome the problem and stuff, but how long do you think we can stand there and withstand the tides?"

"What do you mean by that?" somehow this was getting depressing, and he was right when the lupine's face darken further and his voice was getting softer, sadder.

"What I mean is there are things that are bound to fail, no matter how much effort is placed into it, nor the fact that some may agree with it too. So why bother to start it in the first place? Why don't you just throw the idea away and safe all the troubles and criticisms? Won't that be easier, just let it be?"