Chapter 30 |Wounded

"Josh, hang in there." The tiger heard someone said to him. Gathering his strength, he managed a peek, instantly greeted by a strong glare of light. Gradually he adapted to the brightness and could see better now with his eyes fully open, scanning the room. A bear and hippopotamus in white uniform, obviously nurses. Hugh, Ian, Hector, Claire, two other furs he knew were prefects.

And his beloved boyfriend, Dan, sitting at the other bed.

All were wearing concern faces with different expression.

"Hey, how're you doing?" the wolf gently inquired him, his visage remained the same.

"Not sure," he replied, trying to get up but failed horribly as a thunderous pain shot up through his abdomen, making him gasp.

"Damn, my stomach hurts," he groaned as the bear, who he identified as Nurse Frizz from the nametag she was wearing, applied some ice on his wound whilst telling him not to get up for now. The tiger looked down and furrowed at the sight of his bruised stomach.

"How did I get- wait," he said as memories of the fight came to him. Then he turned to Dan as he remembered that he was fighting with Mack. "Dan, you're alright?"

"I'm fine, just some dizziness, that's all," he gave a sad smile. "I'm more worried about you. You were coughing up blood."

"I did?" Josh faintly recalled seeing blood when he did so, and he understood his concern. "I don't think it's an internal wound. Most probably because I bit the inside of my cheek when that bastard punched me." He had a bruise on his cheek to prove it.

"Speaking of that person," Nurse Frizz interrupted, referring to Scot. "Where's he anyway?"

"He was in the cafeteria, Mrs Song should be there already," Ian answered. "My guess is that she'll come here once she's done there."

"You don't really have to be worried about him, Nurse Frizz," Dan added. "He just got a bleeding nose, nothing to be worried about."

"Still, he's hurt. It's best that he was checked here as well."

"Nurse, I only managed to give him a hook. In fact, I hope I can give more punches to him for what he said and done to us," the feline grumbled.

"On second thought, maybe I'll just go and have a look at him in the cafeteria," she said as if she didn't hear what Josh had said. She went to get a first-aid kit from the cabinet. "Liz, I'll leave things here in your care. The rest of you should go back to you classes, lunch is almost over."

All of them nodded, save for Nurse Liz, Josh and Dan. Hector and Claire wished them for a quick recovery, although it was the tiger who needed the support the most, considering his condition, and left the room quietly.

Hugh remained, seemingly reluctant to leave. Just then, the nurse suddenly complained that she had to use the bathroom, urgently, and passed the ice to Ian. Doing as she instructed, he placed the packet on the ugly bruise, putting some pressure on it and changed position after some time. A moment passed when Dan told the snow leopard to give him the packet. He refused at first, but the wolf was not going to back off.

"I'm fine, I can do this," Dan insisted.

"You just rested for about twenty minutes after getting into a headlock by a boar, how am I supposed to be reassured?" Ian countered.

"I don't feel dizzy anymore, and he's my boyfriend, I should be taking care of him."

The black spotted fur wanted to resist but the lupine had snatched the ice pack away and was now standing where the feline had. Josh's visage was that of amusement, and his boyfriend couldn't comprehend the meaning behind the sly smile.