Chapter 23 |Lover's Spat

"Damn, I wish it's still the holiday,"Josh sighed softly as he stared with lazy eyes at the whiteboard filled with maths equations, head resting on the table.

"Face it, the week's already over, try to get your 'holiday mood' out and just focus," Dan said from beside him as he copied another set of equation into his notebook.

"Aww, but I enjoy cuddling with my Wolfy," the feline whispered into his ears, trying to contain his grin from appearing. 

Heat rose up at the lupine's cheeks and he quickly turned to face Josh with a furious glare.

"Josh! Didn't we already-" he whisper-shouted, but his action had already caught the attention of Mr. Bert, their mathematics teacher.

"Is there a problem, Dan?" the giraffe asked with an eyebrow raised.

"N-nothing, sir," he stammered as Mr. Bert continued to stare at him before resuming the class. Once his back was facing them, Dan scowled at him before writing furiously at his notebook. The feline quietly chuckled nervously before averting his attention back to class.

If he thought that things would be fine later on, he was sadly mistaken. The lupine would not talk to him even once and pretended that he wasn't talking to him while staring at somewhere else. During lunch, he was sitting in his usual spot, munching on his food. But the twins were not oblivious to the change of tension between the couple, and was watching warily at Dan's direction. 

"So, how was your holiday?" Wanting to break the uncomfortable tension, Hector tried to spark a conversation. Unknown to anyone but the canine and the feline of their intimate time in the privy of their room, their cheeks redden considerably at the memory of it. Dan took a huge bite from his sandwich to avoid talking about it and gave a quick glance at Josh with narrowed eyes. The big cat knew all to well what that eyes were speaking off- to tell him to be quite, or else very brief about it, if he was going to ensure his hide was in place and not somewhere else. Josh might had made up the threat, but they had been close friends for some time before they got closer, so he knew it was a bad idea to make him mad. But Dan didn't have to do anything in the first place either, he didn't want anyone else to know about their affair.

"Well, it was good,"he simply replied, hoping they would drop the topic to avoid any requirement to expose embarrassing details. But it seemed that they had something else in mind, and chose to pursue on.

"Oh, really? How good it was? Is the beach water warm enough?" Clare started listing with her fingers. "Does it rain too much? Oh, and how about the view, is it nice enough?"

"Clare, they're pretty nice, and-"

"They're sure good, I bet," Hector cut in with a smirk on his face. "But I was wondering if the beach house you're staying is nice enough? Anything happened when both of you are alone? I heard that Dan's birthday was supposed to be around that time. Oh, and happy belated birthday, bro," he added at the end with a small smile, which quickly turned into a smirk again.

"Oh, right. Almost forgot about that too. Happy belated birthday to you too. Sorry that we didn't have a gift for you," his sister said.

"Thanks, and it's fine. Presents are not really my thing. Besides, Josh already gave me something for my birthday," the canine said, and instantly covered his mouth in regret for adding the last part as a blush spread across his cheeks. But the words had already left his mouth, way too late to take it back, and the twins held on it like a leash.

"Oh, really? What kind of present, I wonder?" they chorused whilst whispering as they narrowed their eyes and stared intently at the couple in front of them. The tiger and the wolf merely bit into their lunch, averting their gaze to posters on the bulletin boards in the cafeteria. It didn't take long for the twins to guess what sort of present Josh had given to Dan, and they laughed out loud, their voices blended with the noise around them emitted from furs at different tables.