Chapter 34

Stefano had been quiet for the past week, constantly discussing the same 'business' with his father in the office. I had tried eavesdropping once, but Stefano heard me.

"Nice try, baby, but you won't find out that easily," he'd said, going back inside the study.

I was growing tired of waiting as I lay in bed the next morning without Stefano next to me. I stared at the scar on my right hand from where I cut it at the ceremony when I joined the pack. It was quickly healing, although it would always leave a mark from when Stefano and I's blood joined as we'd held hands. When our blood touched, it symbolised me being a part of the pack. Stefano had the same scar but on his left hand.

The ceremony seemed like ages ago now, and all I could think about was his secret.

As if on cue, he walked through the bedroom door, rubbing his eyes tiredly.

"You okay?" I ask him, sitting up.

He wraps his arms around me, pulling me onto his lap. "Yeah. I need you to meet me in the forest at 11:30 tonight."

"What's so important?"

"It's a surprise. Dress nicely, okay? I think you'll love it," Stefano says, kissing me briefly before leaving again.

This surprise better be worth it.

~~

I don't see Stefano for the entire day. Not even briefly like before, when I would see him at meal times or walk past him in the hall. Nothing.

At 10:30, I begin to get ready for this 'surprise'. I take a hot shower and get dressed into a floaty white mini dress and light brown wedged heels. I leave my hair to dry into natural waves as I put on some light make up.

When I'm finally happy with my appearance, it's 11:25. I yawn, heading outside and into the forest.

I stop before I go in, noticing a small path made entirely out of rose petals. I carefully step along it, Stefano's scent of honey filling my nose. The trail is lined with candles, and heart beat gets faster as I finally see him sitting down on a checkered rug with a picnic basket. He smiles at me and I can't help the insane grin that spreads across my face.

He's wearing his usual black jeans with a fancy black button up shirt, the sleeves rolled up to his elbows.

"This is what you've been up to?" I ask, breathless.

He nods before worry flickers across his face. "You do like it, don't you?"

"I love it." I smile, sitting down next to him.

"You look amazing," he comments, bringing out some strawberries and chocolate from the picnic basket.

"So do you. Are you going to tell me why you did all of this?" I say, looking above us at the stars.

"Can't I just treat you for once?"

"I know you, Stefano Waters, and I also know there's a reason for all of this."

He takes a deep breath, placing his hand in his pocket and fiddling around for something.

"I.. Uh.." He fiddles around in his pocket once more until he pulls out a small black box.

He coughs, kneeling on the ground in front of me. "From the day I first saw you in the forest, I knew that we would have something, just by the look in your eyes. I knew that you would mean something to me. But heck, I didn't know that after a while, I would soon fall in love with you. Everything that you do makes me a better, happier person, and I can't thank you enough for that."

He opens the box to reveal a dainty, silver ring with a pale turquoise stone in the middle.

I gasp.

"Ashlyn Rose Brookes, will you marry me?"

I'm speechless. My mouth moves up and down like a fish. Yes? No?

"Stefano..." I start.

"It's okay if you don't want to—"

"Stefano."

"Yes?"

"I'd love to marry you." I smile and he pulls me in for a long, sweet kiss, holding me gently as though I'm made of glass.

He pulls away with the biggest grin on his face, making his eyes crinkle at the corners. I'd never seen him so happy.

"Here." He takes my hand, carefully placing the ring on my finger before clasping his hands around mine. "Thank you, Lyn."

"For what?"

"Everything."