Chapter 3

I can't breathe. Ethan is standing in front of me, his hand still holding mine, staring deep into my eyes. My mouth opens and closes and I'm pretty sure I look like a fish, but he just chuckles, giving me a smile that would melt anyone's heart.

"Ashlyn," I manage to squeak out.

"Ashlyn," he repeats, my name sounding perfect as it easily rolls off his tongue. "Sorry if I bothered you."

"You didn't," I reply quickly. "I mean—"

"It's okay." He laughs again, and I don't notice I'm staring until silence stretches between us.

"Well, thanks for helping me up. Bye." I turn around and begin walking away, hiding my blushing cheeks.

"Wait," Ethan says, grabbing my wrist. "Will I see you around?"

"Yeah," I reply before walking away for good.

Even as I carry on down the pavement, I swear I can hear Ethan's heavy breathing as he watches me from behind, and I can't get his breathtakingly beautiful face out of my mind.

--

I sit at the dinner table, Ethan still buzzing in my mind. I can't forget him. How his laugh seemed to be genuine and perfect as it rang through my ears, his jawline and how it was practically sculpted by the gods, but most importantly his eyes. How they seemed to go from a deep chocolate brown to a golden hazel that burned straight through me, the deepness of them and the way they made me fall into them.

"Ashlyn?" my brother Aaron says, interrupting my thoughts. "You okay?"

"Uh, yeah..." I mutter, trying to push Ethan out of my mind.

"Daydreaming about Oxford University, I hope," Dad mutters. He was always so obsessed with me going to Oxford, and honestly, it annoyed me like hell.

"Dad." I roll my eyes. "I don't even know if I want to go—"

"Of course you do! Your mother and I went there, and our parents, and their parents..."

I zone out, Ethan filling my mind again. I'd shut him out if I could, but the way he looked at me burned holes through my chest in a way that was seemingly unforgettable, and it didn't make any sense.