Chapter 19

During dinner I still get sat next to Ethan. He won't even look at me. Grayson sits on the other end of the table but I can still feel his eyes burning onto my body.

"Ethan," I whisper, not being heard over the chatter. I slip my hand under the table, twining our fingers together. Luckily, he doesn't complain.

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry for going against you. I swear I don't even like Grayson in that way..."

"I know you don't." His words take me by surprise but I smile. The corners of his lips quirk up the slightest bit.

"Thank you," I whisper into his ear.

He squeezes my hand under the table and I instantly feel better. Through the rest of the meal, everything is back to normal. We both join in on the conversation, making other people laugh and enjoying the food. There's just one thing that seems out of place.

Grayson is gone.

After dinner, I tell Ethan I have to sort something out.

"What is it?" he asks.

"Nothing too important," I lie. "I'll be right back."

I head for Grayson's room. I can tell it's his because of the amazing smell of hot chocolate and raspberries. I take a deep breath before opening the door slowly. And sure enough, there is Grayson, shirtless.

What is it with him and being half naked?

"Can I help you?" he asks.

"Uh..." I had planned what I wanted to say, but now the words were sticking in my throat. "I, uh—"

"You want to apologise for us talking earlier. I get it, and I forgive you."

"Well, yeah. I mean, how did you know?"

"It's clear in your eyes."

Shit! I'd forgotten to hide my colours. I quickly put up my guard, groaning in frustration.

"Amateur." Grayson scoffs.

"Excuse me?"

"I said you were an amateur."

"You can't say that!"

He begins walking over to me, backing me into the door until he's inches away from me and I can feel his body heart radiating onto me.

"Want me to say it again?" he whispers, getting even closer so I can feel his bare chest pressed up against mine.

For a moment, I'm lost in his eyes which are showing a dark, vibrant fuchsia pink colour. Why did he let his guard down? What did that colour mean? I snap back into reality, reaching for the door handle and running away. What just happened?

I come back into Ethan's room, slightly out of breath.

"How did your 'problem' go? Did you sort things out?"

I shrug my shoulders, not meeting his eyes. "Kinda."

"What happened?"