Chapter 32

"Stefano, you are officially my third mate, congratulations!" I say to my reflection. "For fuck's sake..."

I was planning on telling Stefanie everything, and I knew that he deserved to know, I just wanted to get it right.

I groan before going outside into the garden where I can smell Stefano, his scent being like sweet honey.

I see him sitting on a chair swing under a blossom tree, slowly rocking back and forth with his feet. I take a deep breath, pat down my jeans and go to sit next to him.

"Hi," I say.

He looks at me, his hazel eyes burning through my blue ones. "Hey."

"Before I explain, do you promise to let me finish before reacting?"

"I promise," he says, never looking away from me.

"Okay. It started a few months ago when I met this boy called Ethan. He was new in town and we became good friends, and he introduced me to the whole werewolves thing." I pause, taking a deep breath. "After a week or two, it turned out that we were mates, which broke me. I mean, the idea of having someone like that in your life just scared me."

Stefano blinks. I carry on.

"Soon after that happened, my dad got a promotion and we were supposed to be moving to Australia. Me, him and my twin brother, Aaron." The thought suddenly brings a lump in my throat and bite my lip, but a few tears still manage to escape.

"Missing people isn't a bad thing, Lyn. It just means that you loved them," Stefano whispers, rubbing my back.

I wipe my own tears away. "Anyway," my voice is shaky, "Ethan told me that because we were mates, we couldn't be apart. So, he said I should live with him and his pack. I agreed.

"Then, I met his brother, Grayson. His older brother. I knew there was something different about him and I guess..." I shut my eyes, refusing to let more tears fall. "He was my mate."

"And Ethan?" Stefano asks, scrunching up his features.

I nod, rubbing my eyes. "Two mates, yeah. Somehow— I don't know— people found out after we tried to keep it secret and, I ran away. Ethan would never listen to me. I could've tried harder to convince him..."

"Oh, Lyn." Stefano pulls me into a tight hug and I cry onto his shoulder, making the red t-shirt he was wearing get all wet.

"I have three mates, Stef, but I don't want you to think any less of me. You're the only mate who I care about now," I lie. "I hope you can forgive me."

Stefano blinks, his slow breathing the only thing audible. His eyes flick down to my lips before meeting my eyes again. He slowly leans in, connecting our lips for the briefest second. Warmth fills me and I suddenly feel relieved and more myself than ever. I wish I could stay in that moment forever, knowing that everything was going to fall into place, although too soon, the kiss ended.

Stefano looks up at me through his thick eyelashes, his eyes glowing. His thumb caresses my cheek and he smiles. "I would never think less of you," he whispers. "I love you."

Nothing has ever sounded so simple. I smile widely, pulling Stefano closer. He slowly brings down the guard in his eyes, revealing swirls of pink cutting through the hazel colour.

"I love you, too," I whisper as though it was the easiest thing in the world to say it. "Thank you."

"Anything for you, Lyn."

~~

The rest of the day goes by a blur. I can't stay away from Stefano, and it pains me when I have to go back into Alan's office to discuss joining the pack.

I find out that in order to be a part of the Moon Pack, I must carry out a ritual where I cut my hand and join it with my mate's, making us 'whole'. It was going to happen at the end of the week, where I had to meet the rest of the pack in the meantime.

~~

"You look fine," Stefano reassures me as I try on yet another outfit. I was going to meet the pack today and I wanted to look my best. "They'll love you regardless of what you're wearing, Lyn."

"Are you sure? I mean, what if they see me and all they can think about is how my outfit doesn't match?" I question.

Stefano only laughs, falling back onto our (now shared) bed. "You're hilarious, you know that?"

"Shut up," I joke, throwing a t-shirt at him. "You'd never understand the struggle of shopping!"

"Oh, really? I have great style!" he argues back, amusement in his voice.

"Yep, it must be hard to throw on the same shirt and jeans everyday!"

"Aw, come on, Lyn. Admit that you find my look attractive!" He smirks.

"Nope," I say, popping the 'p'.

Stefano stands up and walks over to me. "You sure about that?"

"Definitely."

He cracks a devilish grin before tickling me, making me fall to the floor laughing.

"S-Stop! Ple-ase!" I squeal in between giggles.

"Admit that I'm attractive!"

"Y-You're s-super attractive, Stefano W-Waters!"

He immediately stops tickling me, climbing on top of me on the floor, our faces centimetres apart. "I thought so," he says, leaning down to kiss me.

I smile into the kiss before we're interrupted by Max walking through the door.

"Oh, God! My eyes!" he yells, covering his eyes with his hand. "Dad's ready when you guys are!" He runs out of the room, knocking himself over in the process.

Stefano and I both burst into fits of laughter before getting up and heading downstairs.

We drive a few minutes into town and my nerves begin to build up.

"Hey," Stefano says, taking my hand in his. "I'll be right by your side, okay?"