Chapter 17

Ethan seems grumpy all through breakfast after the encounter with Grayson. I can understand why, but it still bugs me that he won't let it go.

"Ethan," I say and he looks up from across the table.

"Yes?"

I take a deep breath. "If this is about the Grayson thing then you have nothing to worry about."

Ethan rolls his eyes.

"Don't be like that. You seriously think I'm gonna get with your older brother?"

"I know, it's just... He's trying to cause trouble."

Another girl walks in. She has perfect dirty-blonde hair that's curled out of her face, and she's just taller than me. She seems startled to see me but her expression quickly turns into a smile.

"Ashlyn, right?" she says, coming over to hug me. "I'm Lacey, Ethan's sister."

Ethan grunts which makes us both laugh.

"Nice to meet you."

"She needs to borrow your clothes, by the way," Ethan says to Lacey.

"Sure." She smiles at me again. "Hey, why don't we go shopping today?"

"I'd love that."

After finishing breakfast, Ethan and I go upstairs to get dressed. I have a shower and suddenly remember something that makes my heart drop in my chest.

Aaron and Dad must be going crazy looking for me. God, I missed them.

I feel a stab of guilt which leads to me crying. Luckily my tears blend in with the hot water of the shower, but that doesn't stop Ethan from knowing that something was wrong.

"You okay?" he calls from outside the bathroom.

"I'm fine!" I lie.

But when I get out of the shower and creep into Ethan's room in my towel, he can tell I've been crying. My eyes are most likely bloodshot red and glistening with tears.

"Oh, Ash." He pulls me into his arms and I silently sob onto his shoulder. He rubs my back and whispers soothing things in my ear which help me to calm down. He doesn't ask what's wrong, which I find comforting seeing as he's willing to wait for me.

"I l-left them," I cry out between sobs.

"You did what was best, Ash. It's fine now... shhh." He continues to relax me until I've let it all out.

I quickly change into Lacey's clothes and leave my hair to dry in natural waves. I try to forget that I'd just cried in front of Ethan, but he seems quite clingy as I get ready to go shopping with Lacey.

"You sure you'll be okay? Call me anytime. Don't hesitate to come back, too. I'll be missing you!" he says to me as I leave the room with him trailing behind me like a lost puppy.

"Calm down." I take his face in my hands when we reach the bottom of the stairs. "I'll be fine! Me crying was just a one time thing."

"I care about you, that's all."

"I know." I go to kiss his cheek but he purposefully turns his face to meet my lips.

"You sure you're okay?" he whispers.

I'm about to reply when I hear Lacey call my name from a few rooms away.

As I pass from one room to the next, I bump into someone.

"Can't stay away from me, huh?"

Grayson.

I roll my eyes, trying to get past him but it's no use; he's blocking my way on purpose.