Chapter 14

I wake up lying on the river bank, wrapped in several blankets and towels. I shiver, wrapping them closer around me as I suddenly become aware that I'm still only in my underwear.

"Ash!" a familiar voice says. "Are you okay?"

The person rushes to my side, wrapping yet another blanket around me. I try to give them a small smile.

"Ethan," I breathe. His hair is wet and water droplets were drying on his skin. I was the only one who was wearing towels. "Y-You saved me?"

"Uh..." He hesitates and I see his cheeks blush. "Yeah, I guess. Not really. Well, it depends how you see it—"

"Thank you," I interrupt. "I was freezing my butt off in that river."

His small laughter rings out perfectly through the trees. The sun is setting and I am on the opposite side to the river than when I came. I liked this side better.

A long silence stretches between us and I feel the urge to say something.

"How did you know I was in the river?" I ask.

"Us werewolves have special instincts. We know when our..." He pauses, thinking through his words, "...partners are in trouble."

"We're partners?"

"Ash," Ethan sighs, "what I said before about us being mates... Well, it's still true, although I'm sorry for telling you in the way that I did. If you don't want that kind of pressure then that's okay with me."

"It's fine, Eth. I mean, I trust you."

"Really?" His eyes light up but the colour of them don't change.

I nod. He takes my hand in his, kissing it and placing it in his lap.

"Why did you come here?" he asks after a while.

"I wanted to get outside. I didn't mean to find this place."

"I used to come here when I was younger. The rope never lost its grip, huh?"

"Thank you. Again." I turn to look at him and a gentle smile is tugging at his lips as he looks at the river.

"I wouldn't leave you out here. Or anywhere, in fact. You know that, don't you?"

He looks at me then, his eyes flicking down to my lips and back up again. My heart beats frantically in my chest as he comes closer.

And then his lips are on mine. I kiss him back gently, though he seems to want more force in it. One of his hands slips underneath the layers of blankets, brushing my back with warmth.

I tangle my fingers in his dripping wet hair and try to will him impossibly closer.

We break apart. Ethan's eyes swirl in colours of pink and gold.

"I love you, Ash," he whispers, and I let him say it.

"I love you, too," I reply, and I find it strange how easily the words leave my mouth. I had no idea how many feelings I had for him until now.

"Can we go here more often?" I ask.

"Of course. We can stay as long as you want." Ethan drapes his arm over my shoulder and I lean into him, slowly letting my eyes flutter closed and before I know it, I'm asleep in his arms.

~~

I wake up about hours later, still next to Ethan by the river. The sun has almost completely set by now and I notice Ethan peacefully asleep. I try to bite back a smile seeing how calm he looks. My movements must have been too much because his eyes flutter open, still pink and gold. He smiles at me.

"How long have we been here?" he asks.

"Hours. We should probably get going."

Ethan kisses my forehead before helping me up and we walk towards his truck.

"Oh, I need to get my car." I yawn, still tired.

"We can get it tomorrow, just get in my truck and I'll take you home."

We both get in and the drive to my house was quiet with the occasional glance in each other's direction. Knowing how we felt about one other made me much happier.

Ethan pulls up on my drive. "Here we are."

"Thank you," I say, hugging him.

"For what?" He holds me tighter and I press my head into the crook of his neck.

"For today. And for taking me home."

We pull apart and I walk inside my house, carefully shutting the door in hope of avoiding my brother. Dad was out as usual and I hoped Aaron didn't ask where I was.

I creep upstairs and into my room, careful not to make a sound. Once I finally make it into my bedroom I flop down onto my bed, letting sleep take over me once again.