Chapter 5

*flashback*
I bit down on my lip in pain as I tried squeezing my small wrist out of the hand cuffs that held me captive on the old dewy basement floor. I hadn't had a shower or anything in weeks. The last thing I ate was a stale piece of bread with a mouldy bite sized piece of steak and that was 3 days ago. I had exactly 5 drops of water each day after  my regular beating. I was now turning 9. I'd been there for a year at least and everything is just starting to get worse. 
         Suddenly the metal door banged open and in came a bright light momentarily blinding me. One of the men that I see everyday came in but today he held something in his hand.
"She's such a bitch!" He talked and came at me. I scrambled back but I could never be faster in the state I was in. The object in his hand soon came clear and I realized it was a sharp blade. I gasped and started to scream. Struggling to hold me still
He shoved a cloth down my throat.
"Shut up! I said shut up!!" He yelled. Next thing I knew there was a sharp pain slashed across my torso from my left collarbone to my right hip. Everything went blank and i didn't feel anything. I stopped screaming and thrashing. Thick blood dripped off of me to the floor.
Drip
Drip
Drip
The man was seething as he yelled in my face.
Drip
Drip
Drip
He seemed to realize that I wasn't hearing what he was saying.
Slap!
Drip
Drip
Drip
This was it? I was going to die. The man chuckled at my expressionless face and his words suddenly became clear.
"I was beginning to wonder how long it would take to break you."
Then the man walked off.
Drip
Drip
Drip
*end of flashback.*
I stayed there for about an hour staring into nothing and unconsciously rubbing my stomach where the most of my scars were. Lizzy and Princess had left to the hospital a while back and Ajax was yelling over the phone at someone but I didn't care enough to listen.
Soon he came out and sat next to me.
"I've called some people and your now going to be staying here." Was all he said not looking at me.
"Fuck that!" I said and tried to get up but the cuffs stopped me.
"Shannon will be here in the morning to sign the papers." He stated.
"What? How do you know about her?"

"I'm not stupid, scratch. I know you've been through crap but we all have. It's time to grow up and move on."

"How long have you lived here all by yourself?" I asked planning some long lecture about how he doesn't tell me what to do.

"20 questions?" He asked. I was too busy plotting to listen to what he was saying.
"Sure whatever just answer."

"Since I was 16 so 3 years. My turn. How many foster homes have you been in?"
"Over the 4 years I was in 14 different places. Where were you before you moved in here?"

"I lived at my uncles after my parents died 9 years ago. Why so many foster homes?"

"Nobody liked me, how'd they die?"

"There was a shooting and they were merging into the highway. I was at home and they got caught in the cross fire. Where are your parents?"

"Dead. June 24 2007 right?"

"Yeah... How'd you know?"
"My friend was in that crash. Her and her entire family died that day." I said "why'd you leave your uncles?"
"Hey! It's my turn!" Ajax objected.

"Actually it's not, you asked 'how'd you know?' So it's my turn now." I stayed matter of factly.
"Fine." He grumbled crossing his arms over his chest. I would have laughed at his resemblance to a kid who didn't get what he wanted but I had other priorities.

"So? Why'd you leave?"

"I didn't leave," Ajax snarled "I liked my life back then. My uncle left me. Gone, disappeared into thin air and nobody could track him down."