Chapter 6 - "The first time we met he saw my boobs"

I woke up at the crack of dawn, knowing it was time for dance rehearsals. I had to practice my solo piece to Tomorrow Never Dies, then a group dance to Proud Mary with the rest of the dance majors. I got ready, electing to wear a bright pink, low back leotard with black footless tights and a short black wraparound skirt. I shoved my feet into my dance sneakers, grabbed my bag and my Macbook, and opened the door to see Michael sitting opposite me, about to fall asleep.

"Michael?" He shook his head.

"Flora? Oh my God, I'm so sorry for what happened," he stood up, taking me into a hug.

"It wasn't your fault silly," I laughed weakly. "I just wasn't expecting it and I got a bit panicky, that's all."

"I was so worried about you, I didn't want to fall asleep in case anything happened," he said quietly. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"I promise," I mumbled into his shoulder. He held me tighter, but I pulled away. "I have to go to rehearsals."

"I'll see you later, right?" I nodded. "Good."

"Bye Michael," I waved, and ran to rehearsals.

***
Tomorrow Never Dies had to be one of the best dances I'd ever done. It was up there with my James Bond tap piece I'd done at the age of sixteen that had got me an offer into dance college, and my Masquerade ballet audition that had got me a place in uni. It was almost certain to get me a solo in the showcase, hopefully opening or closing. Kiri looked so proud of me as I ran through it the final time before break, and she smiled as I finished.

"So, Miss Lighthawk," she said as I sat down, gulping down my water.

"Shit," I laughed. "I'm about to get a lecture."

"I understand you're going out with Michael Clifford?" I nodded. "I'm not about to lecture you, don't worry. You two would be cute together. Just waiting for you to set me up with Luke, you know?"

"I've not really spoken to Luke, the first time we met I'd only just woken up and he saw my boobs."

"Really?"

"Yep," I chuckled, remembering the look on his face when Michael took the duvet off me. I'll see though, I'll introduce you at the showcase." She smiled.

"Thank you lovely. The others should be here for Proud Mary any moment, get your New Yorkers on." I slipped my feet into the heels and marked the routine a few times, getting used to doing it in the slippy shoes. The other girls in the dance came pouring into the studio, and rehearsals commenced.

I had a duet in the dance with a girl named Georgina, who was honestly beautiful. She was fairly average height, but she was super skinny, fairly tanned and she had gorgeous brown hair that I just wanted to run my hands through. But as we were dancing, she slammed her shoulder against me hard enough to cause me to fall.

"Flora, get up, we have to start the whole dance again now!" Kiri shouted, clapping angrily. The other girls glared at me, clearly exhausted and not ready to run through the fast paced routine again, and I found myself ignoring their irritated stares.

I got to the part with Georgina again, and as she lifted me up I felt a sharp pinch in my side, and I had to bite my tongue to keep myself from crying out. I continued dancing, doing my best to avoid her eyes, but I just wanted to cry.

As soon as the routine finished, I stormed out of the studio and into the bathroom, locking myself in a stall and slipping down against the wall.

"Flora?" It was Kiri. "What was that about?" By this point, I had peeled my leotard down to see where Georgina had pinched me, and I saw a bruise already forming.

"I cannot dance with Georgina," I spat. "If I have to duet with her I refuse to take part in this dance."

"Why?"

"She's just fucking bruised me, she pushed me over but made it look like it was my fault, she's making everyone hate me!"

"I can't take either of you out of that duet Flora, you're my two best dancers and it's a showcase."

"Then I'm not doing it. I shouldn't have to work with someone who's bullying me."

"Please," Kiri sounded desperate. "I can have a word with Lorna, but there's not much I can do." Lorna was the head of dance, and she would never agree to having Georgina and I separated.

"Leave me alone." Kiri sighed, and walked out of the bathroom. A few minutes later, she returned.

"I got your bag and Macbook, I figured you didn't want to go back in there." She left again, and I got up, wiping my eyes and unlocking the stall door. I grabbed my phone and texted Michael.
im coming to urs, everything is shit please be prepared for sad flora
A reply came through almost immediately.
Michael C: making a pillow fort... smilee for me babe x
I changed my shoes and left for Michael's after picking up my bag.

I arrived, ready to knock on his door, but he was already leaning in the frame. As soon as he saw me, he embraced me, swaying slightly, and I began to cry into his shoulder.

"Shh, Flora, it's okay," he whispered. "Come in." He guided me in as I didn't lift my head.

"Why are girls such bitches?" I sobbed. "I hate it, I hate it, I hate it."

"I don't know baby," he shook his head. "Was it Grace?"

"No, it was fucking Georgina," I sobbed. "I need to show you what she did." I slipped my leotard down, turning so he could see the bruise.

"Oh my God," he gasped. "She thinks that's okay?" I shrugged.

"She shoved me over as well," I sniffled. I pulled my leotard up, and we got into bed and cuddled for a few hours.

*****
it was my last day of year 11 today and i keep crying some of my favourite people are going to different colleges and i just love (most of) my year so much i just
excuse me while i cry some more

Tomorrow Never DiesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara