TPO Chapter 2: Bumpy Friday II

Photo of Lucas at the right

If you want to create banners for me, just post a message on my wall. I'll put them on the next chapters. Thanks a lot!

Chapter 2

GABBY

I love lunch breaks. I get to eat the delicious food my dad prepares for me. I always look forward to what he'll cook for me. Lunch is also when I can spend time with my best friend, Jack. We don't have the same classes during Fridays so we can only meet during break and after classes.

Across the wide quadrangle is our school's cafeteria. It's usually crowded and noisy. From the entrance, I can already see the long line of students carrying gray plastic trays as they get their food at the serving counters.

We usually sit near the windows of the cafeteria so we can see the people outside. I have a satisfactory view of our quad where the pretty and skinny girls of the cheering squad is having their practice. They are wearing the school's red and yellow cheering uniform.

It's Friday, so those arrogant and noisy bastards from the basketball team are there again blocking the view. I hate them. I usually don't mind their presence but every Friday, they just piss me off. 

I didn't want those boys to ruin my day so I just ignored them and started to eat my lunch.

My mouth watered as I opened my lunch box. It gave off a fresh and savory aroma that it reached the table next to me. I had lasagna topped with ground beef, onion and mozzarella. It looked yummy and very appetizing. I took the first bite, it felt heaven.

I couldn't stop myself from eating. I never thought that my dad can cook Italian cuisine. He never fails to surprise me everyday.

"Ahhh! . . ." I shouted, scratching the back of my hair.

Students beside my table instantly turned their heads, looking startled, when I suddenly squealed. Gahd, I forgot my tumbler at home, again. So, I stood up, left my things unattended and went directly to the nearest drinking fountain to quench my thirst.

I was a bit shocked when someone grabbed my cap from behind me. I slowly turned around to see it was Jack who pulled the prank.

He was wearing plain white shirt, black jeans and his favorite red Chucks. It was my birthday gift last year.

I gazed at him for a while and pretended to look mad. He stared back and acted the same. There was a deeply unpleasant silence. After a few seconds, I gave up and we ended up laughing for what happened.

We knew one another's actions that we could recognize if it's either true or fake. Students passing by were looking at us weirdly. We didn't mind and just smiled back at them.

We have been friends since we were five. And we have made an oath for being best friends when we were around eleven or twelve. We grew up together.

He lives just a block away from my house. He's with her mom and her younger sister, Kelly.

"Hey! . . . You scared me, Jackie!" I almost snapped but greeted him with a smile.

I noticed there was something off so I asked him. "Why are you dressed like – that?” pointing to his shirt down to his shoes, "I thought . . . you had PE class before lunch?" I asked as I stealthily tried to take my cap from his hands.

He felt it and pulled away his hand. I heard a soft chuckle. Instead of handing it back to me, he softly put it on my head and fixed it the way it was before. He joined me and walked to our table near the windows.