Leftovers of a Birthday

"Awe, all of the Misa-Misa things were cancelled! The commercials, the interviews, everything! She's not showing out her face in public anymore!" Matsuda exclaimed and slouched on the chair. Mogi punched his arm lightly.

"Matsuda! Now's not the time!" Mogi exclaimed as Near shook his head, staring at the monitors.

"I'm sure that it could mean something, Mogi-San. She is the owner of the death note. If so, she would be avoiding the public due to Light Yagami's death," Near said as I took my seat next to him, sipping on a cup odorants juice. Rester looked confused.

"But, why just now? Why not when he died?" Rester asked. Instead of explaining the real reason, Near came up with a fake answer.

"Misa Amane must have thought she could have continued Light's deeds. But then she soon thought that she wasn't Light. She wasn't that intelligent. So she quit," Near replied as I nodded. The SPK and Japanese Task Force understood what Near was saying.

Even so, it wasn't likely of him to lie to his own allies. After all these years; it seemed to be that Near was still a bit as childish as he was.

*flash back*

"Uh oh...," Matt said, looking at the broken window in shock.

"Gah!" Mello exclaimed as he knelt by the broken glass. "Watari's gonna kill me!"

Near had a pack of ice in his hand, and handed it to me. I pressed it against my eye and winced in pain.

So what happened was that Matt and Mello were playing baseball outside by the playground and I was sitting at my normal spot by the window. And...this happened.

"Oh God...um...11? Are you bleeding?" Matt asked as I lifted my bandage from my eye and looked at him. He yelped and hid behind Mello in terror. Even so, I decided to laugh. The fact that Matt actually cared about me for once, and how reaction.

"Wait how bad is it?" I asked and put back the ice bag on my eye. Mell shook his head and pushed Mello a bit backwards. He almost tripped onto the broken glass, but was saved by his feet.

"How come you care about stupid? The broken glass here's the problem! Ugh.... Watari's gonna kill me!" Mello said as Near shook his head, still doing his puzzles.

"If you want, we can tell them that 11 is sleeping with the ice bag under her pillow. We'll just take down the whole window and say it was for open view," Near said as Mello's eyes widened in shock. Then it soon turned into a smirk.

"I like the way you think, Near. Atta boy," he said as I walked away into my bed and slept with the ice bag on my eye.

*end of flashback*

I smiled at the memory, how we all worked together. Now Matt's gone. Watari is gone. It wasn't long before Near sent out Gevanni to investigate. Everyone was gone and into their work stations. I sat next to Near while we watched the monitors.

"...It's my fault..," he said all of a sudden. My eyes widened as he suddenly said it, stacking up the cubes all over again. He faced the monitor as he stacked up a whole tower in such little time. "Matt died. SPK members died."

I shook my head and pointed at the monitor showing Misa's room. "It's not. And you already avenged them by killing Light. Or, catching him. Matsuda technically killed him," I told his as Near balled his hands into fists, staring at the monitor in anger.

"Years ago, Beyond Birthday was the Light Yagami. Mello was one of the first to know about the case. I was, only 6. You were only 4. We all saw Beyond Birthday as a big brother, remember?" He said.

"I'll be the next L, you know it!"

"It's almost as if he's still here. I could hear his voice in my head," I told him as Near managed to laugh a little bit.

"Of course, he's been wanting to be the next L ever since he's been in the orphanage. He was one of the successors of L, until the final exam..," Near started to trail off. The same voice was heard in my mind. "He failed it."

"The test...the test...it's rigged!"

"The other successor, A, had committed suicide since Beyond Birthday was too much to handle. We all started to fear Beyond Birthday. Even though, Mello still adored him as a role model. Even after the murder incident in Los Angeles," Near said.

"I am a successor of L! No, I'm better.."

"All this Kira nonsense was the leftovers of Beyond Birthday's original plot. Even leftovers, could mean something new. Beyond Birthday would have wanted this to happen, especially with his insanity," Near said.

"Wait...what are you saying?" I asked, confused on why Near was talking about Beyond Birthday all of a sudden. Ever since Light Yagami, Beyond Birthday's incident is nothing but a flash from the past.

"I'm saying that he is still alive."

"Such idiocy, how was this the new L?"

"He's not," I said. Near nodded, stacking up the final cube, staring at his castle that he was able to make. "I know he isn't. Right now he must just be haunting your mind at this moment. The fact that you used to thing of him as a big brother. You can't accept that he's dead just yet."

Near was silent for a moment, staring at his castle that he made. He decided to add one more to it and had a facial expression I couldn't figure out. Mixed with anger, and slight, glistening tears in his eyes. Mostly the anger part.

"I hate him now. The final exam holds one of the hardest questions in the world. He started to get cocky after A had died. He didn't even care about the death. He was insane. How I said he was like Light Yagami...," Near trailed off.

"The people he killed were not innocent."

Near paused, shaking his head. "Forget about it. He's in the past. Light Yagami is in the past. The case is already closed. Nothing more," Near said and took out a milk puzzle, where the pieces were completely white. He started to do it as I say there, staring at the monitors. My thoughts were clouded.

"Why...Why won't they believe me?!"