Then Again...I Can't Like Her

Near's POV

"...So we had finally caught Light Yagami being Kira by switching some of the pages in the fake notebook in the real notebook and some of the pages in the real notebook in the fake notebook. And whoever X-Kira hadn't written their name down in the warehouse, would be..," I trailed off when I felt a light thud on my lap.

"...Kira..," I said, finishing what I was saying. I saw 11 sleeping on my shoulder, her eyes closed as I put my finger a few millimeters under her nose to check if she was breathing.

I sighed in relief as she was just sleeping there, looking tired.

"Near...don't walk...away..," I heard her mutter in her sleep. My eyes widened as she continued to talk in her sleep. I often did in the orphanage. I don't mind not sleeping at all, actually.

"You said...you said..," she continued to mutter as I saw that her face scrunched up a bit, as if she was having a nightmare.

"She's after...me... Help...me...," she said as I could see tears on her cheeks as I had a worried look on my face, seeing that she was crying in her sleep, as well.

"Watari...L...Mom...Dad...," 11 continued as she cried. "What's my name..?" She asked and continued to cry.

I took a hesitant move to dry some of the tears off of her face. "11, it's just a nightmare. I'm right here..," I told her in a quiet tone.

"Near...sorry....," she said as I took a deep breath, gently stroking her smooth skin on her cheek as my hand was caressing it.

"Stop this now, Near..." I told myself and put my hand away.

"11, it's all a dream. I'm here, Near," I told her as she opened her eyes which were red and puffy. She looked up at me with her dark blue eyes and sat back up on her chair, reaching for a tissue and blowing her nose into it.

"Near?" She asked in a small voice, as if she was that little child that was bullied. I turned to look at her as she quivered in fear, hugging her legs and resting her chin on top of her knees.

"If you ever die...then...would it be my fault?" 11 asked me as I was slightly shocked with the question. I twirled around the curl of my hair and shook my head.

"It would never be someone else's fault if I was the one who had put myself in that danger to die," I told her as she nodded, staring at the floor, as usual.

"Why are you..willing to protect me?" She asked with a curious expression in her eyes. I continued to twist around a strand of my hair and shook my head.

"It's stupid, as you say," I told her and smiled. She looked at me with wide eyes as the redness was back on her face.

"So your saying-" I cut her off by shaking my head.

"L had died because he fell for Misa Amane, who was the Second Kira with Shinigami Eyes. She saw his real name and killed him, since she loved the other Kira much more. So that was one of his very few mistakes. As the successor of L, I can't afford to make that mistake."

After a few seconds of silence, I stopped twisting my hair as I turned to look back at 11, who didn't seem shocked.

"You've been doing a great job as L, then," 11 said and grinned. As much as I wanted to, I never thought that these thoughts would cross my minds but... I actually sort of want to play with her hair. Even the least bit.

But I can't afford L's mistake. I have to resist.

"What other mistakes...did L make..?" 11 asked, curiously once more. I sighed and kicked up my feet as usual, staring at the board and throwing darts.

"There were at least, 2-3 I can think of. The first one is that of Misa Amane. The second one was being friends with Light Yagami, since he was Kira. The third, may be letting a high schooler outsmart him."

11 nodded, understanding. "So, today we'll be meeting Misa Amane?" 11 asked as I nodded, taking another sip from my coffee.

"I have a costume and everything," I said and attempted to smile. 11 giggled a bit, looking almost, cute.

I see why L had fell for someone like Misa so easily.

The sun started to rise, as I saw one the monitors outside of the SPK building. I took my last sip of coffee and clenched my fists.

I...couldn't stand being next to 11. If I have the slightest reaction for her, then I could end up to die just like L. I know she's innocent...but I couldn't trust everyone I knew.

Beyond Birthday became a serial killer.

Mello became a sort of Mafia Leader.

Matt had joined him.

Light was part of the Japanese case for Kira.

And much more that I don't want to think of at the moment.

"Near?" 11 asked as she looked at the sun rise on the monitor when she figured on which area she wanted to see on the satellite. "If..you had a choice to be with a girl, then..," 11 trailed off before turning into a flustered mess and hid her face in between her legs.

"11, this again?" I asked her and put my hand on hers, which was surprisingly, warm, at least compared to mine. "I'm not scared to say it. You, as usual. But, I'm not willing to make another mistake," I told her as I scooted my seat a bit more closer to her.

"We will still remain as friends, like you said in the orphanage," I told her and gave her a side hug in a friendly matter.

"In this case, we should all be friends. But in a cruel world like this, 11, it's not your fault for being like this," I repeated a few words that I told her years back. She seemed to have remembered as she smiled.

"So...what should your female name be?" 11 asked with a grin on her face. I sighed and gave her a sort of angry look. "I like Natalia," 11 said and snickered, muffling the rest of her laugh.

"Near, the clothes you ordered arrived," Rester told me as my eyes widened in shock as I suddenly turned into an 11, by hiding my face.

"I'm not wearing that!" I yelled out in anger.