Chapter 9: Shadows Fade

Ametis pulled away from the festival and everyone else. She walked out of the temple and walked back home, not bothering to fly or catch a chariot at all.
    She was bored, or worn out at least.
    The temple of Horus loomed over her and silent torches flickered, lighting up the temple from the inside. Ametis walked up the stairs and made her way into her home.

    The halls were quiet and still. On any festival, every deity gives their servants the entire period of time off and so this was why the house was dead silent.
    Her footsteps on the cold smooth concrete were loud and could be heard from anywhere in the household.
    She passes the banquet hall and discover the lights blooming their brightest in there.
   "Ametis," said a voice calmly.
    Ametis freezed in her tracks, she frowned, and then walked back to the banquet hall. There she finds Hathor sitting at the head of the long table, in Horus's seat too, Ametis notices. She paused and then entered the nearly empty hall.
   "Hathor," Ametis stood behind a chair and bowed to her mother who frantically moved her hands in the 'up' motion in order to get her daughter to stop bowing.
   "I'm also known as mother," laughes Hathor.
   "Forgive me then," Ametis sighed with a smile and sat down on the chair.
   "Have you talked to your brother?"
   "Ihy?"
    Hathor nodded and looked down at her hands clasped together on the smooth table surface.
   "I was hoping to speak to him today, however I have not seen him--even at the festival," replied Ametis quietly studying her mother's face.
    Hathor raised her hand and stroked her temple, "he has learned to accept that you are the prophesized one to defeat Kha--not him, though he is the elder child. But when you were away in that illusion fixed world, Ihy has led the armies twice..." Hathor's eyes faltered and she glaced up at her daughter. "And in those times, he was almost killed because of his anger."
    Ametis remained stationary as she listened to her mother talk about her older brother, Ihy. When he was born, everyone thought the prophecy spoke of him...but when they realized it was Ametis, Ihy became a shadow. Talented, powerful, handsome, a friend to everyone, also a warrior, but the lights dimmed on him.
    He was still nice, but he spoke less and was seen less in public.
    He was especially nice to his younger sister Ametis but he never saw himself as equal to her--he treated her like a goddess more powerful than him and he as a lesser deity. Over the years he became to resent her and everyone else, anger clouded his mind but he never exploded. He could only listen to Hathor, even Horus was not relevant in Ihy's eyes--those that once sparked with life.
   "Where is he?"
   "Ihy is here in the palace," replied Hathor glancing up to look at the door as if expecting him to be there. "But do not approach him unless he acknowledges you first."
   "What is this Hathor?" Ametis asked. "You look so weak talking about Ihy."
   "There are two heirs to the throne," she said looking up at Ametis with her soulful eyes. "You and Ihy. Normally the eldest son would take the throne--or in particular only the surviving son could take the throne. If there are no sons--the throne rights are the same for females. They could, also rule together, like Isis and Osiris...but I know you both cross that off because of the ceremonial things."
   "Mother...do you want me to marry Ihy for the throne?" 
   "It is the normal ways of the Pharoah since immortal blood can't react, but no--you don't have to. In fact, I think the throne is going to you; what you do afterwards is your choice," she waved her hand in the air and brought it to rest her chin upon.
    Ametis sighed.
   "But that's the problem. Heirs. I have lived to see it all, the recuring pattern--it is the source of the wars. Set wanted the throne from Osiris, he killed him and took over until Horus destroyed him. Now Kha is fighting against your father for the throne--in some ways fighting also with you." She paused and looked into Ametis's eyes. "Even if you succeed in this war...what about your brother? Ra has already chose you for greatness far more superior than Ihy. Your elder brother is more powerful than you and if you don't sustain him...there may be another war."
   "Hathor," said a voice sending both heads to propell back to the doorways where they saw Ihy standing calmly with a sword in his hand.
   "Ihy," Hathor smiled looking at her son.
    Ametis smiled also, but she couldn't maintain eye connection with her elder brother, she eyes dropped to look instead at his sword.
    Ihy was not the same cheerful child. Even now he did not return Ametis's smile--only his mother's. But who could blame him?
    The despite his godly handsome appearance, he looked tired, worn out and weak. He rolled his shoulders back and entered the room, scraping his sword against the ground as he walked over to stand beside his sister.
    Hathor immediately stood up, her palms slamming against the table.
    Ihy noticed and turned to her with a sad smile, "mother please leave. I would like to talk to Ametis alone."
   "By Ra, do not pester your sister," Hathor walked away mouthing you'll be alright at Ametis.
    She disapeared down the hallway and Ihy waited a few good moments before finally speaking.
   "So how is the golden child?"
    Ametis chuckled stiffly, "you know everyone loves us equally. You just don't want them to because you're insecure."
   "This coming from the girl who was handed everything on a gold platter. You might be my sister, but you know nothing about me," he threw his sword onto the table in front of them and kneeled before Ametis, looking her right in eyes.
   "But I love you more than you hate me," she sighed. "Doesn't that mean more to you than the petty actions and thoughts of others not relevant in your life?"
   "I am the eldest and I am the son," Ihy ignored her statement. "The throne rightfully belongs to me Ametis...do you know how disgracful it is to walk around with people saying labeling me as insignificant?"
    Ametis reached down to him but he flinched and abruptly stood, once more towering over her.
   "You want the throne...you can have it! At least it won't fall into the hands of Kha or Set once more," she angrily responded.
   "Are you already labeling me as a future evil?" He laughed looking down at her, "I will not take the throne if you give it up that easily--I am not weak!"
    Ametis inhaled sharply at the sudden tone of anger in his voice.
   "Do you want to start another war? You are not heartless as Kha! I am your sister and as much as you would hate to admit it--you love just as much as I do you. I am one of the few lucky people that reside in your heart," she stood up pushing the chair against the wall.
    Her face was just inches away from Ihy; she could she his defined cheekbones and the angry shadows around his eyes.
   "You drive me insane, brother! Our parents do not need this pain...especially Hathor. Our mother loves us with all her heart. Before, she told me she feared because of this rivalry, we would have another war for the throne."
   "You're right," Ihy looked at her. "I love Hathor too much to go against you. But I have to rule Egypt too and I will  rule Egypt."
   "I could marry you," sniggered Ametis.
   "Of course you can, but no." Ihy quickly grabbed his sword off the table and started walking towards the door.
    Speechless Ametis followed after him longs strides to keep up with her taller brother.
   "Wait!"
   "Go away Ametis," snarled Ihy slipping his sword into his sword belt. 
   "You don't have to overreact over my foolish words," Ametis tried grasping his arm but her hand slid of his gold armlet.
    Ihy stopped walking and turned to look at her, "by Ra I don't care about that. That is fair if we marry for the throne. But I can't sit here and talk about it all night, Kha's army is just over the Southern desert."
   "Are you leaving again?" Ametis sighed. "I was happy you came back from the battlefield. Now, I hate that you are seeking power to prove yourself--going to defend the Southern kingdom. I don't want you to go Ihy. Your power-obsessed mind almost got you killed twice!"
    Ihy sighed and placed a hand on her shoulder, "I can guarantee two things. The throne is mine, and after talking with you I find peace in myself.."
   "Two things," smiled Ametis. "The throne is mine and...I love you."
    Ihy groaned and moved his hand on her shoulder to hold her neck. He patted her neck twice and then leaned forward to place a kiss on her cheek.
   "You make me wish I was never born!"
   "Don't you dare kill yourself there," she returned his peck to his cheek. "We still need to sort out who rules Egypt."
   "Me," they both said in unison.
   "Nothing like a great sibling rivalry."
   "I'm winning."
   "Don't push it. Apart from Kha, you need to watch out for me," growled Ihy as he pulled away and raced down the hall leaving his sister staring after him with a smile.
    He would soon recover from his petty dispute with her, she wished with all her heart.

Guys, just putting it out there that the next two chapters will be...confusing, a bit outrageous with also a contemplative idea. Those two chapters will 'accelerate quickly' and will definitely have the 'what have you done?' factor in the story.

Love y'all beautiful and handsome Nile deities.

-L Representing Amillah & Myself
  💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙💙