Chapter 19 - Tris

Start from the beginning

I shake my head. I can't think like that. I would hope nothing like that would happen. I know I have my insecurities, but surely he wouldn't leave me because they said they didn't like me. I feel a tightness in my chest at the thought of losing him, and try to take a calming breathe to relieve the tension. I know what I'm feeling, but I'm not sure if we are there yet. I'm honestly scared he'll leave if I say it too quickly.

I'm snapped out of my thoughts as Tobias knocks on the door, "Tris? Ready to go?" I sigh. Here we go. I step out to a smiling Tobias.

He comes over to me, placing his hands on my hips, kissing my forehead. "You look beautiful. Are you ready?"

"Um...I think so." Looking down at my shoes. Nerves twisting my stomach into knots.

He gently pulls my chin up so I meet his eyes. "Don't worry Tris. I think Amar and George are really going to like you."

"You know, I feel like I'm going to meet your parents for the first time." I lay my head on his chest, feeling his heart beat gently against my cheek, trying to reassure myself that this meeting won't go badly. I remember meeting Matthew's mother for the first time, but it just seems this meeting has so much more weight to it. Amar and George mean so much to Tobias. They have done so much for him when his parents didn't.

He breathes in deeply, but I can feel the tension in his arms that are around me. "Well, you really don't have to worry about them. I cut ties with my father the moment I turned eighteen, and my mother passed away years ago. These are just really good friends Tris. That's all."

I pull back, looking down, still not satisfied with his answer. "Yeah, but they've been there for you when your parents weren't. I feel like I need to make a good impression." My voice is barely above a whisper as I say that part that is the hardest to get out. "What if they don't like me?"

His hand caresses my cheek, causing me to look up. His eyes are an intense blue, "Tris, you have nothing to worry about. I...", but then he stops, his jaw clinching. It looks like he wants to add something, but just keeps looking at me. He sighs, "You're perfect to me. That's all that matters. They won't be able to not like you." He kisses me softly, "Come on, or we'll be late."

**********

We're standing in front of the restaurant, but I just can't seem to stand still. I can't really pace right now since Tobias has a firm grip on my hand, rubbing circles, trying to be soothing. I'm trying to keep my mind from panicking and start looking at the flyers in the window for local bands, the various permits the restaurant has, and the credit cards the restaurant accepts. There is a local newspaper that I've tried to read the front page of several times, but I just can't seem to focus on the words for longer than a few seconds.

Tobias keeps squeezing my hand, smiling at me, "Tris, it's fine. Calm down. It's going to be alright. I promise." I'm about to argue, when two men approach us.

"Hey Four!" one of the men says. He's tall, with dark brown hair that has flecks of grey throughout, but has a kind face. The other has black hair, is slightly shorter than Amar, but appears to be more reserved.

"Amar! George! It's so good to see you guys." Tobias extends his hand to who I think is Amar, then they pull into a quick hug. He repeats the process with George, before turning to me. "Guys, this is Tris. Tris this is Amar and George."

I extend my hand to each, "It's a pleasure to meet you both. T...Four has told me so much about you." Shit. I about slipped his real name. I don't know if these men even know it. I bite down on my lip before I let anything else slip I shouldn't.