|7| Wide Eyed and Bushy Tailed

My body seems to wake up before my mind, I lie face-up staring at the ceiling. I try to will my body to move with no success. Closing my eyes I see her face again. She looks so at peace when she sleeps, dare I say beautiful. I didn't get to see much of it, because the nurses sent me away. Everything medical concerning her is a secret.

To be truthful she is beautiful regardless if she's awake or asleep.

I don't know what I was expecting when I saw her, but I didn't expect that. I use the next few minutes of my immobile state to replay our little moment together. I should have said something more charming, or something to make her laugh. Has talking with girls always been this hard? Am I overthinking this? I move my hand to touch my face grateful for the mobility. I waste no time in perching myself on the edge of the bed.

Would talking to her be easier if she knew who I was?

No, this is the first person in a long time who doesn't look at me like some idol, or god. I know I choose this life for myself, but I didn't know how lonely it would be. I can't let her know, not yet, I want to hold on to this normality for a little while longer. I peek over at the red numbers on my desk and groan- 4:45 a.m. I am not going to be able to go back to sleep for a while. It's been days since I last saw her, and we didn't end on a positive note. I make my way to the shower with my mind on one thing.

Her curtains are closed, of course, they're closed, she likes her privacy. I knock softly to draw any unwanted attention. I hope she can hear me. I lean my head on the door and tap again.

***

I force my eyes to open, my heartbeat races and I force myself to calm down. The nightlight in the corner does a pretty decent job in keeping the room barely lit. The curtains are drawn and I silently thank whoever closed them for me. My body aches, I can feel every bone in my body every time I move. Why am I up right now? I groan as I read the clock on my nightstand 4:55 a.m.

A soft tap comes from my door, I ignore it. What do I look like going towards the creepy sound at the crack of dawn? I turn my body away from the door and grab my pills hidden away in the drawer. I pop two in my mouth and try to swallow them dry and nearly choke. I shake my head at my poor choices as I wash them down with the boxed water by my bed like a normal human.

Funny, I have to stash away painkillers in a hospital that is meant to heal my pain.

The soft tapping starts again, and I don't know why but I find myself taking steps towards the door. The thought of a crazed murder attacking me sounds less terrifying the more my bones grind together. I swing the door open ready to see the masked killer.

"You?" I whisper, "What are you doing at my door this early?"

"I wanted to see you," his deep voice floats around me, "They have been keeping you on lockdown for days."

He leans his head on my door pain and smiles at me. I don't understand this man. I step out of his way and let him enter my bubble. He immediately looks towards to nightlight in the corner and I thank the heavens for my caramel skin that is semi-hiding my blush.

"I don't like the dark."

"I apologize for waking you up."

"Are you?" I ask sitting on my bed.

"No," He says smiling, "Luna.."

The name flows from my lips easily. I smile at how similar our names are. She looks over at me shocked and I can't hide my cheeky smile. Her cardigan slightly slipped off the side of her shoulder exposing her skin and thick night strap. Dark blue, it fits her. One of her long legs are tucked under her and the other is pulled up to her chest. She has on a shorts set which makes sense because her covers look pretty thick. She has a frown a deep frown on her face and I have a feeling I know why.

"Your doctor said it," I say hoping to stop her from thinking up some crazy ideas, "I have a pretty good memory."

"You are breaking so many rules," She whispers to herself but I hear her.

I lean my back against the wall and watch her as she gazes out the window. Has she always lived here? I can't help but to want to know everything about the girl in front of me. I want to know her dreams, her past, the reason why she's here. Unfortunately, I can't bring myself to ask her.

"I think it's only fair since I know your name your know mine."

"No."

"No?"

"Yes, no there is no point in exchanging names. Eventually, you'll be gone and I'll never have a reason to call it."

"You don't have any friends? You call them don't you?"

"I did have friends, but they're gone now."

I watch as she pulls her longing eyes away from the scenery. She looks up at me and gives me a painfully fake smile. So this is how you cover up your hurt? I don't like it. I walk over to the window and gaze out. She has a beautiful view but I have a feeling she isn't looking at the street lights.

"Come with me, I want to show you something."

"My bones hurt-"

I lean down in front of her, "Get on my back, I'll carry you," She hesitates but wraps her body around my back. I glance at the clock and rush towards the door. I run down the halls in haste stopping at corners to make sure no nurses see us.

The faster I run the tighter her grip on me gets. Once we get inside the elevator I take a moment to breathe before looking back to check on her. She has her head tucked in my shoulder, I know it's not because of the running.

"Are you scared?"

"I don't like the halls at night- it's too empty and quiet."

"I'm here with you, so don't worry."

We finally make it to the top and I walk towards the once locked door. I jammed tissue in the hole so I could come up here when I woke up early. I let her down in front of the large open windows, she looks out at the city then up to the sky. Unfortunately, you can't see the night stars because of the city lights but I can show her the next best thing. I grab a blanket from the closet and place it over her.

"I used to come up here when I was a little girl, never at this time though."

"Why did you stop?"

"This isn't my city, and I don't know these streets... it just wasn't the same."

"Well then don't look at the city," I point towards at the sky.

The dark sky turns before our eyes into an array of colors, I watch in awe as the golden orange paints the sky and fills the clouds with life, "So beautiful," She whispers to herself. I look over at her and gaze in awe. The colors dance on her smooth skin making it glow. Her brown eyes catch a ray of light showing me just how brown they are.

"Yeah," I manage to choke out, my cheeks heat up and I look away from her slightly embarrassed, "Beautiful."

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.