|6| No Rest For The Wicked

"Don't look so glum, you needed fresh air," Taylor says placing his tray of food down.

"You know Taylor you could say no Dr. Hark, you are allowed to have a lunch break without me."

He throws his head back in laughter drawing unwanted attention our way. I groan, as he wipes fake tears from the corner of his eye.

"You think I listen to everything he tells me to do when it concerns you?"

"Um, I would really hope so."

"He doesn't have kids Luna, He doesn't understand medicine doesn't fix everything."

He bites into his tuna sandwich and glares. I watch his reaction closely, for some strange reason he has a never ending feud with the kitchen ladies, Gladis in particular, and there hasn't been a day I haven't heard of something that they did wrong, or changed.

"This taste like subway," he mumbles more to himself.

"I have a question," I look away from his questioning stare, "don't overreact Lo."

"I never do."

"Are you guys opening up my ward again?"

"No," he sighs as I nod, "you shouldn't be around so many different infected people at once. This way it's easy to manage what you have so we can focus on getting you better."

Bullspit, utter bullspit. I force a smile and nod in faux understanding. They closed my ward down years ago when a reporter snuck in under the guise of a nurse and tried to get pictures of me. Apparently I am being held captive and used in clinical trials against my will. Needless to say after a few more unfortunate events Dr.Hark pulled the plug. No more contact with my peers, no more reporters, conspiracy theorist, etc.

"Do you want to play the guesses game?"

No not really but you'll start anyway.

"Look," Taylor points to a heavy set man in the doughnut section, "There is always one. He knows good and well he doesn't need those four glazed doughnuts.

"I have seen you eat a whole pizza to yourself Lo, he is a saint compared to you."

The cafeteria is fuller than usual, I feel bad for Taylor having to spend his lunch entertaining me. We used to have to do this all the time because I never wanted to be alone, and I didn't like the other nurses. I made his first few years here hell, I'm sure of it, he was still so young then. I gaze around the cafeteria slightly surprised, and overwhelmed. Dr. Hark would've never sent me down here had have known how many bodies were here. I chuckle at the memory of me slipping out of the lobby doors after my father. I was about three blocks away before he caught me.

I stand up and brush the wrinkles off my black sleeve lace dress. I should get back to my room and clean it a bit, and put back those magazines. I wish I could just order my own so that I don't have to worry about putting the really good ones back.

"I'll see you later Lo, enjoy your break."

I make the walk to my room long. I really wanted to ask Taylor about the boy who I has been wandering around. I've never met anyone with such little sense of direction. A small chuckle escapes, I suppose this hospital is very big and the halls are kind of tricky. Finally I reach my room, I pick up the stack of magazines and walk back to the waiting room. After Picking several new ones I turn around in a haste to get back to my room and bump into someone.

"oh!" I say shocked, "I'm so sorry are you okay?" I ask while readjusting the magazines in my hand.

"Yes, I should be the one apologizing I ran into you," the guy says while picking up some of the few magazines that dropped, "here."

"Thank you," I say taking them off his hands.

I look up and see the mysterious boy. He looks down at me, and smiles. I step back so I don't have to crane my head to look at him. I suppose from far away This can't be happening, I thought I was being overly careful to not be seen by him.

"Excuse me," I say quickly.

"Huh..."

I practically run to my room. I need to nip this interaction in the bud. The absolute last thing I need is someone coming into my life, because no one ever last. I drop the magazines down on my end table and sit on the edge of my bed hanging my head. Someone knocks twice causing me to look up to find familiar eyes.

"excuse me, I don't mean to interrupt but you dropped this in your haste."

"Oh, thank you" I say taking that destination magazine from his hand.

"I knew it was you, I don't know if many people have told you this but you have a very distinctive voice."

"Thank you," I say awkwardly," I don't talk to many people, so.."

"So you are the face behind the voice?" He says leaning on my doorframe, " I owe you a big thank you."

"You know now that you have seen me I am going to have to kill you."

His laughter fills the room. I chuckle and shake my head. Why am I talking to him so casually? A sigh escapes as look down at my vans.

"I like your dress," he says after a period of silence, "It matches your curtains."

"Oh thank you, I was going for glum and socially awkward."

"You know now that you mention it I think I saw that piece during in New York Fashion week."

"Why are you here?" I blurt out, "I'm sorry, I meant- what are you doing in this ward?"

"I thought you weren't supposed to talk about what you were in for."

"This isn't jail."

"You could've fooled me," he sighs letting his eyes roam around my humble abode.

"You didn't answer my question."

"You're different," He says looking into my eyes.

"Am I interrupting?" Dr. Hark says, stopping me from asking my question.

We both look towards him, I shake my head and take a seat on my bed. The room temperator seems to drop drastically. This dress does little to nothing to warm me. I stand up to head towards my heater and become light headed.

"Luna are you ok?" Dr. Hark asks looking up from my chart.

I attempt to nod but the motion deems too much for me. I feel myself slipping. The voices around me turn into murmurs, and all I can hear is the wind rushing past my ears before everything goes black.

VOTE. COMMENT. SHARE.