|4| Curiosity Killed The Cat

Perhaps I was more tired than I had led myself to believe. I distinctly remember closing my eyes after letting my thoughts roam free and then nothing. I woke up to Rei standing over me. After he dropped off my computer, clothes, and a few other trivial things he left, but not before reminding me of course to write. 

     I close my eyes and groan out loud. I despise hospitals, and I am pretty sure no one can hate hospitals more than I can. I glance around the blank room once more before standing to my feet. I toss my lyric journal to the side and raise my arms to the ceiling. I need to get out of this room before I go crazy. 

      Just as I head towards the bathroom a knock resonates throughout my temporary room. I grunt loud enough in response and the door cracks open revealing the doctor and the two residents. I watch him closely as he enters, he is holding a chart and frowning which only leads me to believe-

              "Luka, how are you doing this morning?"

               "Tell me what the issue is please."

                "It seems to me that we might be holding you for an extra day. After monitoring your sleep last night it's come to our attention that you may be experiencing some neurological issue. You also may have REM. Regardless this will only set you back a day or so."

                  "How can you conclude that from me sleeping?"

                   "We ran blood work when you first came in, and when you finally slept yesterday we were able to monitor your sleep patterns," the doctor makes his way too the door but stops midway, "While you have sometime here I would suggest you explore a little."

That is by far the last thing I am going to do in this hell hole. I thank the man before picking up my black notepad, I glance at the remote that powers the stupid box before shaking my head. Not a chance in hell.

...

Today wasn't going to be a good day. I don't mean that in a depressing way either. I just know that three things are going to happen today: one, I am going to be diagnosed with another disease. Two, I am going to get sick multiple times today. Three, I won't die. Which I should see as a blessing but it's rather hard to when you know that everyday you become a walking host for some of the deadliest diseases known to man and you have to live through it, and at the end you always live.

I can feel my bones quake and I immediately know what is going to come next. I draw my thick black curtains to block the bright lights that causes my vision to blur. A long sigh parts from my lips. I relish in the darkness lighting a few candles to dimly brighten my room, nothing too much that could cause me more pain. I layback letting the soothing sound of Lo-Fi semi relax me.

Why the hell did I listen to that damn doctor? I walk down another hall and groan in frustration when I see the same picture on the wall I did thirty minuets ago, and the same dark curtains, and the same white walls! I slide down the wall and hold my head in my hands. All the halls are so long, and I know I have seen all these landmarks before.

"Are you lost?" A feminine voice asks.

"No," I answer without looking up.

"Do you -"

"No," I don't mean to be so blunt but my frustration is taking over.

"This is your fourth time walking down this hall. If you take the next two rights you should end up on this floors reception area."

Huh? I look up surprised and confused. There's no one here, I look to my left and right. The halls completely empty. Maybe I really do need to be here, just in a different ward. The door a little off to my right on the opposite side of the hall closes. Could someone- I shake my head. The window is covered by a black curtain. Talk about morbid. I stand to my feet and begin walking in the direction the voice instructed me to go,

I breath of relief escapes my lungs. This hospital is easy to get lost in, how does the staff remember it all?

"shouldn't you be resting?" A tall doctor I have never met before asks looking down at his charts.

"I don't believe we have met," I state holding out my hand, "How do you know my medical reasons for being here?"

"I am the chief of this department, Doctor Hark, I would hope I know you."

"Pleasure to meet you Doctor, I am Luca-"

"Yes, not to cut you off but I am aware of who you are."

I turn look at Dr. Hark and debate on asking my question.

"You know interesting enough when I was on my way here I noticed I didn't seem any one else."

"Well that's because you need your privacy and because that wing of the hospital is for extended stay."

No wonder, my mind goes back to the black curtains. It was easy for her to help me because she remembers. I suppose this means I will have to properly thank her.

"There is someone in that wing that's of your age group."'

"Who?"

"I'm sure you guys will meet in due time, but for right now...Go back to sleep."

His glare is almost as bad as Rei's. Maybe he gave him a few lessons before leaving me here, to die. I chuckle more so to myself, and not the man standing in front of me trying to be intimidating.

"Doctor people in that wing, are they mentally ill?"

"No, but then again who is completely sane?"