4. Talk is cheap

"I don't know what to tell you, Clara," Liam sincerely said after taking a sip of his coffee. He and Clara were sitting in a booth inside the restaurant where it all began.

Clara sighed resting her head in her hands. "I can't believe the great Liam Payne doesn't have any advice to give," Clara said halfheartedly before sipping her coffee.

"I'm sorry Clara I'm not exactly in a position to give relationship advice," Liam responded shamefully.

Clara furrowed her eyebrows, looking at the boy confused. "What are you talking about? What happened to Sophie?" Clara asked, but as soon as she said her name Liam tensed.

"We broke up," he said bluntly, refusing to look her in the eye.

"Oh," is all Clara could think to say right now, she was a little disappointed because she had become friends with Sophie after her wedding, she was, in fact, one of her bridesmaids.

The two sat there in an uncomfortable silence. Clara couldn't think of anything to say so she did not say anything. Suddenly, Clara's phone went off causing her to jump. She picked it up and looked at the caller I.D, she smiled when she saw her husbands name. "I have to take this, sorry," she said to Liam before scurrying away to the women's bathroom.

"Hello?" Clara said as she pressed the answer button.

"Hey, Honey where are you?" Louis's calm voice rang through the phone.

"I'm at Amy's place, remember where we first met."

Louis paused before responding, "Why are you there?".

"I'm catching up with Liam why don't you come to join us," Clara said hopefully so she wouldn't have to deal with the awkwardness.

"Okay, I'll be there in ten," Louis responds joyfully.

"Okay, see you soon, love you," Clara smiled.

"Love you too," Louis said before hanging up.

Clara fixed herself in the mirror before walking in out, only to result in knocking into someone. A loud crashing noise flowed through the room, resulting in everyone turning their attention to this spot. Clara registered in her mind that she had just knocked into a waiter and the glasses on his tray had fallen. The man bent down to pick up the pieces. "Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," Clara said shocked.

"It's fine honestly, it happens more than you think," the man said before standing up.

Clara froze once she saw his face, the man doing the same. They stood there staring at each other, neither saying a word. That's when all the memories came flooding back.
*

  "I can't believe it; I don't want you to go," Clara said, tears forming in her eyes. It was the day that she dreaded for the past month, Eric was leaving for college today.

"I know, but I promise that I will call and text you everyday," Eric said pulling her into a crushing hug.

She sobbed into his shirt gripping it tight. "Please don't leave me," Clara cried.

"I'm so sorry Clara," he whispered while stroking her hair.

"Don't cry, I'll see you in two months?" he said after wiping the tears that were rolling down her face. Clara smiled a little, before kissing him.

"This isn't goodbye, just a see you later," he said then kissed her one more time.

"Last call for flight 329 to Cambridge, Massachusetts." The voice on the intercom said.

Eric broke away then kissed her forehead. "I love you," he said before turning around and walking away.

Clara tried to run after him, but her dad who was sitting down before grabbed her hand to stop her. "Come on Clara let's go," he said, placing his arm around Clara's shoulder.

One month later

Ever since Eric left, nothing had been the same. Clara didn't wake up with him right next to her. Everything reminded her of him, and it was hard not to think about him. For a week he did call every day as he promised, but one day he didn't call. She understood that maybe he was caught up with homework, but one day turned into two. Two days turned into a week and a week turned into three. She hasn't heard from him since and has come to the conclusion that he had forgotten about her. She left constant messages on his phone, but he never returned them.

"Clair, please open the door," her best friend, Emily, called out from the other side of the door.

Clara didn't answer, only laid on her bed staring at the ceiling.

"Clara please," she pleaded.

Clara sighed and walked over to the door, unlocking it and pulling it open. Emily looked surprised as she opened n the door, but she then engulfed Clara in a hug. She hugged her back, sobbing on her shoulder. "It's okay," she said hugging Clara tighter. 
*

"Clara?" Eric said incredulously. Clara just continued to stare at him, her mind full of thoughts and emotions she couldn't bring herself to speak. It was as if she spoke a whole other language and didn't understand her own thoughts. Without thinking Clara walked towards the door, Liam tried to stop her, but she pushed past him and ran out the door. Clara didn't know where she was going but she knew she needed to get away from here.