Habeeb - Mid air

There was no good movie to watch. I've had two cups of coffee which eliminated my chances of falling asleep during the 5 hour trip.
This is going to be a boring flight.

Lady by the corner.
She looked uncomfortable occasionally adjusting her hijab to cover her feet from the cold.
She was shivering.
She must be sick.
Maybe that's why she was crying.
Why haven't anyone checked up on her.?
Why travel with a sick maid?
Poor girl might be even forced to go.
Maybe just to babysit...

I can't do this anymore I said.
I pressed on a button and summoned up one of the air hostess to get me a blanket.
I quietly placed it over her making sure I didn't wake her adjusting it over her neck and quietly tucking it below her feet..

"What the hell" were the words I heared...
She sprang up and her eyes were filled with rage and fire as she looked at me demanding a response.

Habeeb say something..
I had no words.
I was just trying to help.

She was still looking at me.
Yes what were my reasons for helping her.
Hajia and Ya Hajara were looking at us and someone from the seats in front was approaching.
I stood up cowardly and left the seat.
Yes I felt like a coward.
But what explanation do I have.
For trying to help.

I used that time to clear my head and check upon the minions.
Most of them were asleep and the rest busied themselves on movies available on the small screens in front of them.

Confidence! I said to myself.
I shouldn't feel quilt or cowardice for trying to help.

Walking back to my seat I overheard the person next to her talking to her about being a lady and raising her voice.
It's my fault and she's still getting scolded for reacting.
I felt bad.
I remembered how she was crying by the corner.
I felt bad again.

"Salaam alaika" I said extending my hand to greet him.
He replied me with a smile as we exchanged pleasantries and he left.

I needed to explain myself.

She said nothing.
Her eyes were on her fingers as she continues fidgeting.
She sighed.
Let me take that as "aplogy accepted".

She's peacefully sleeping after the meal. I needed to clear her out of my mind but it wasn't possible.
She's right next to me.
She didn't toss or turn as she slept.
My eyes kept wandering from her to my ipad as I fought to concentrate on doing one thing at a time.

A little cute boy tapped my hands and whispered "Is that Ya Ammi?"
What do I reply?. What is her name.? I've already named her "The Lady by the corner".
Before I could reply he continued "can you show me how to watch a cartoon on this" pointing at the screen in front of me.
I smiled and carried him up sitting him gently in between us two.
After going through all of them we finally settled for "Kung Fu Panda". I watch a lot of cartoons in the process of babysitting those minions. Yes one can't leave them unsupervised without them turning the whole room upside down.
I liked the way this kid watched gently and laughed in places he found funny.

"Ya Ammi are you up"?
The little kid went on about how she was crying earlier because she nearly made them late and I could feel she was embarrassed.
"What's your friends name?" He enquired.
"Hey she's not my friend" we said in unison tho mind was a voice in my head.

"Habeeb" I replied him smiling.

My name is Adnan.

"I'll call you Ya Habeeb"
That made my whole day.
I just made a friend.

"Adnan Khalas" : My royal maid chided in.

Wait what?
I didn't just say My.. I meant the royal maid. The lady by the corner.

One of the other Maids came to pick my little friend up.

It's going to be a long flight.

And I slept.