6:40am

A woman in her late forties counted again.!

We are still six in number here.
She wondered.

She asked the driver to stop before the gate was opened.

"Imran check your daddy's car and see if Ammi is there"
She said as she searched the other car.

"Maa she's not here"
Imran replied.

And there she was curled in her Hijab and pyjamas sleeping on the prayer mat. Mummy's resounding slap on the buttocks woke her up. She was in shock.

"Mummy what did I do?"
She furrowed her eyebrows and rubbed her eyes.

Her mother didn't  answer but instead dragged her to the door, then downstairs and out through the backdoor from the kitchen. On reaching the parking lot, she noticed the three cars that were waiting to take them to the airport and then it downed on her.

"Ya Allah Mummy let me go and shower or change. Mummy I haven't eaten. Mummy stop dragging me. It'll just take 5 minutes."
She stammered.

But all hear pleas fell on Mummy's deaf ears as she pushed her petit figure into the car. She knew not to argue as the orderly, the guards and other people from her fathers entourage watched.
She sat in the car wearing nothing but her Pyjamas and covered in a hijab. She adjusted the rear mirror and when her eyes fell on the figure before her, all she did was cry. Then she remembered;

"My phone! I left my phone. Mummy please."
She pleaded.

Mummy wasn't even listening and everyone was silent. She could see the twins trying to hold back their laughter. She made a mental note to deal with them later. Only little Adnan sympathised with her. His little hands kept stoking her head.

They had already checked in online and had their luggage sent to the airport earlier. Even the boarding passes were ready when they arrived at the airport. And looking like the 40 year old maid or Nanny McPhee, she hung her head in shame as the security waved a metal detector towards her.

She sat in a corner away from the family looking like their old maid from the village. What angered her more was that  none of them could even beg Mummy not even Ya Imran.

Daddy and Ya Amar arrived as they were about to  start boarding.

"Where is Ammi?"
Daddy asked searching with his eyes.

Adnan's tiny voice replied
"she's by the corner crying"

"Crying?"
Daddy enquired rather surprised.
"What happened to her? Is she sick?"

"Mummy dragged her"
Adnan explained.

Daddy's eyes went back to Mummy
"What did she do"?

It was Ya Amar's laugh that made daddy turn. She had come to collect her boarding pass and passport and had vowed not to talk to anyone of them throughout the flight. She was furious. Amar was her twin, they should share a Bond. One that he could feel her pain. All she wanted was to scream and strangle him.

"Subhanallah Ammi"?
Daddy's eyes nearly popped out and she broke into new set of tears.

"Ammi what happened"
He asked again trying to surpress his laughter as she hugged him and pointed a finger at Mummy.

She could hear the twins giggle as she hid between the folds of Daddy's huge babban riga.

"Ummu Imran what did you do to my mother"?
Daddy bellowed teasingly with  smile.

"That's why I always ask you to carry extra clothes for the kids in case they needed it"
Daddy continued
"Now is this how you want people to see my mother, in flip flops and pyjamas? "

"She's not a kid anymore. Stop spoiling her. She was going to make us late. Does she think she owns the plane or will it wait for her?"
Mummy's voice sounded harsh.

There were many people travelling. Families well dressed, the young ladies her age also. The Guys too, she thought. Everyone was going to see her this way.

This is going to be one embarrassing flight.
She said to herself  as she sat down.