21. Notorious

Notorious - famous or well known for doing something bad.

Penny's Perspective

I flinched at the sound of his voice.

"You look lovely today." I kept my eyes shut and shook my head. He stood in his cell,  proud and shameless. I could barely recognize Lex Luthor while I stood in front of him. I opened my eyes as my eyelids fluttered. He smirked in my direction.

"You lied to me about the bombing. It was you. You didn't just happen to get out in time, nobody was aware of what you were doing but you. Innocents. Dead. You knew and it was your doing." I finally spoke.

"I had to make you see past my actions." he shrugged, then smiled. "You wouldn't have understood if I told you the truth back then. But now that you're here..." he sighed and smiled a little more. He tilted his head. "Now that you have the capability to understand..." he reached for my hand and I pulled my hand back. I was disgusted by this version of him.

"I already told you. We're no longer--"

"No longer what Penny?"

"Don't call me that."

"Why? Don't you not like the name Emily?--"

"You call me nothing." I finally barked. "You don't call me by any name. Whatsoever. You're not going to call me by any name because we are not going to know each other anymore." his smile began to wilt, yet I went on. "I don't want to know you anymore. I don't want to talk to you anymore, I don't want to be your assistant anymore, and I don't want to be your lover anymore. I don't want to be anything to you. From here on out you and I are strangers." he tilted his head a little more and chewed on his bottom lip. His facial expression told me that he was wondering what to say next before speaking again.

"No we're not. We're not strangers to each other and we never will be, my dear Penny. Emily. Whatever you would prefer."

"Lex--"

"And now I have you where I want you. Close, yet so far." he wrapped his hands around the cold, metal bars of the jail cell. With one look, I felt powerless.

"Were you not listening? I just told you we're not a thing anymore--"

"Mhm! Yes! It's over! Done! No longer...Just like you said yet here's the thing." he leaned closer towards me. His face was now only inches away from mine as he spoke again. "With the help of Lois Lane, you could easily say that. You could easily tell me that this is just over and done with and that I should find someone new but...no. No I won't find someone new."

"And why's that? Because you're a narcissistic psychopath?" he chuckled.

"No, my lucky Penny it's because I know deep down..." he leaned even closer out of the jail cell until his shoulders hit the bars and he couldn't move any closer. "That's not what you want. You don't want to be a stranger to me just as much as I don't want to be a stranger to you. You're just a little afraid. That's all." his hand then brushed my cheek before I pulled away. I knew he was right, I knew it well. Yet I pulled away.

"You. Are. Dead to me." I then spun on my heel and began to walk out quickly.

"THIS IS NOT THE END!" He screamed at me as he watched me walk away. "PENNY!" I bit my lip and held out tears before walking out. Even from several miles away, I could still hear his screams ringing in my ears.

"EMILY!"