5. Guilt

Guilt - an emotion felt when one believes or realizes they have compromised moral value and have done something wrong.

I sighed loudly as Lex walked into my office with paperwork the size of a ten page packet. I looked up at him with my eyebrow arched.

"What is this? Sympathy work?" he shook his head and laughed.

"You know, I like your ambition. If only you had as much forgiveness." I looked away. He tried to follow my gaze but I refused to look at him.

"When's the soonest I can get out of here?" I looked at him for a few moments then looked away again.

"Well you're not planning on quitting are you? That'd be a shame..." I shook my head.

"I meant when's the soonest I can leave today without loosing my job..."  Lex rolled his eyes, then pulled two pieces of paper out of the pocket of his blazer. He laid the three papers on my desk. I looked at the papers. Two of them were plane tickets ( one for the way there and one for the way back ) , the other was a printed out picture of a hotel website. I arched my eyebrow in his direction.

"Enlighten me?"

"You, my lucky Penny, are going on a early business trip. New York. Funny isn't it?" he tilted his head. I bit my lip.

"How...do you mean?"

"I mean do you forgive me or not?" he put his hands on the front of my desk.

"You can't buy my forgiveness, Mr Luthor. Boss or not..." he sighed.

"Please. I just want to treat you. Three days in New York City. Now go home and pack. Your flight leaves in a few hours." he then went to leave the room. I stood.

"And if I don't go?" he looked at me and smiled.

"Then you'll be fired. Have a nice time." he then walked out of my office.

...

"Penny. I need you." Mercy stopped me just as I was on my way out.

"How do you mean--" I began to walk with her as she sighed, interrupting me.

"The court meeting is today. We're going to testify against Superman. Did Lex tell you where you're going?" I nodded.

"Yes I'm aware. New York. Can I ask why really? I don't imagine it was just as a treat..."

"No. He just wanted to be nice. I don't blame him. " she laughed slightly." his tests are the worst. I will never forget the morning I woke up to him telling me to get up and come into work... " I laughed with her.

"Yeah. Not to mention the fact that he was right outside. That really freaked me out." As I chuckled, she looked at me confused.

"He never came over to my place...he just kept calling my phone until I answered." she smiled. "He doesn't go over to anyone's house. You must have just seen things in your sleep." she then turned away and continued walking. I looked down, thinking about what she said. I didn't see things. I never see things.

"Yeah...I guess so...So this is the court meeting that Superman will supposedly be at?" she nodded.

"Lex will be speaking. Hopefully he doesn't say anything to reveal--"

"Ah! You two! Mercy do you mind if I steal Penny from you for a minute?" Lex smiled at her then grabbed me by arm and dragged me with him as he walked away.

"Sure I don't--" Mercy couldn't finish her sentence before we were gone. "Mind." I could hear her speak as I looked over my shoulder. I then turned back to Lex.

"Hey what's that about?" he then let go of me and walked in front of me. He looked both ways, licked his lips quickly and then whispered to me.

"I need you to leave as quickly as possible. As in right now. Go. Leave." I tilted my head.

"Why? I mean--I could take notes from the trial today in court. Why do I really need to go to New York? What's wrong with staying here today? And why today--" he shushed me.

"Penny, please. Shush. I may answer your questions later. But for now, you're the newbie, you need to be safe. Now. Go." he smiled. "Just accept your gift, would you?" he then tried to walk away, but I wasn't letting this go.

"Hey. Today is one of the busiest days for LexCorp. I want to help." his smile only grew as I continued to speak. "It's one of my dreams but how is it helping you if I go to New York?" he walked towards me slowly.

"Number one, your forgiveness. Number two, things will seem a lot clearer soon..." he then walked away as I sighed.

"Lex Luthor you will be the end of me." I muttered to myself before walking out of the building.

...

I smiled to myself as the subway doors closed. I was now on my way to the airport, and things were finally looking up for me. Despite missing the trial that I had been interested in seeing, everything seemed to be falling into place.

As the subway began to move I put in my two earbuds and pressed play on my favorite playlist. Maybe I did need a vacation. Maybe I did need a break.

I thought that was what I was getting, then,

the whole subway shook as we could hear screams from above us.