18. Love Is A Suicide

"What just happened?"

"Why Penny I...I don't know." We looked at each other. My eyes were bulged, his eyes wide. Neither of us knew what to do. Then, I got an idea. I turned back to the screen.

"We don't have his camera, but we have more cameras. We can find what we missed, it'll just have to be from a different angle." Alfred smiled.

"This is why I want you as a apprentice. You always have ideas..." I stopped typing, thinking about what he said. I turned over the thought of being his apprentice. I then began to type again. Alfred walked to the other computer and began to do something else.

"Yeah...sure..." I checked over all of the cameras. But when I finally clicked on the web camera inside the kryptonian wreckage, it was fully functional. My eyes went wide again. I could hear Lex chuckle. He was walking around, pacing slightly. The place now looked nearly destroyed, papers and things on the ground.

"Penny Penny Penny..." he shook his head and looked right into the webcam. He shrugged like he was offended. " All I wanted to do was protect you. But that was too much to ask, wasn't it? " I was silent as Alfred then looked over.

"What the hell?" he asked, looking at the screen. Lex chuckled and tilted his head.

"I can't see you Penny, but I know you can see and hear me so why don't you just show to me just how brave you are and SAY SOMETHING?!" Lex finally yelled, breathing in and out heavily. Alfred looked at me.

"You have to make amends..." He pulled the small microphone towards me and looked at me seriously. "Remember he can't hear you just yet. We're still on mute..." I shook my head, my eyes watering.

"I can't, Alfred. I can't."

"I just watched you do something the average person working at LexCorp couldn't do in a hour, in five minutes. You saved a innocent and you did it well. With skill. With patience and intelligence. You can talk to your actual boss and reveal yourself." I shook my head even more.

"You don't understand Alfred I've...Developed..."

"Feelings?" I nodded. He sighed a little.

"I'm waiting, my lucky Penny..." Alfred and I looked to the screen again as Lex repeated himself. I exhaled slowly. Alfred put his hand on my shoulder.

"You can do this." I told myself, inhaling and exhaling deeply. I licked my lips before speaking into the microphone. "Hello, Lex." I could see him smirk.

"Listen Penny--" I gasped again as the computer screen went to black and white fuzz, beginning to glitch. I rapidly looked down at the keyboard before looking back up again.

"What the hell?" Alfred whispered again loud enough for me to hear. "This computer has never done this before...Ever..." I bit my lip.

We couldn't see anything but the computer malfunctioning for the most part, but we could then hear some of Lex screaming from afar. I patiently waited for the screen to return to its original state of clarity. "What is he doing?" Alfred asked himself as I shook my head. I turned off the microphone.

"He's gone insane..." I mumbled. The screen footage returned to its original state a few moments later. I could then see Lex panting, looking down at the ground.

"AND IT STILL HAUNTS ME TODAY..." Lex paused then breathed in and out heavily again. He shook his head. He seemed to run his hands over his face to try and collect himself. There was no doubt he had just went off and I clearly missed it. He looked up at the camera with the same wicked glare I had seen before.

"This is not the end." He mumbled before shutting off the camera. I gasped a little and turned to Alfred.

"What do we do now?" Alfred shook his head slowly.

"I'll be honest Penny I am...Not sure... "  I then leaned in forward to the screen. There seemed to be nothing I could do to see what Lex had said only a few moments before. My brain was left to just wonder what he was trying to say to me. Truth is, I'd never know until much later on.