2. Aurora

Aurora - Dawn

Two months ago

I could barely take a single breath in the amount of time before I was approached.

"Emily Cosnette?" I smiled and nodded at the lady. She was dressed quite elegantly for just work, wearing a black leather dress with pearl earrings. But I couldn't blame her, as LexCorp was seemingly the most powerful empire in Metropolis and she obviously served a high role. From what I could see from her name tag anyway. Her name was Mercy Graves.

"Emily Penny Cosnette. I'm here for my first day at work?" Mercy smiled back and held out a hand.

"My name is Mercy Graves. I'll be giving you your tour of the place before you head to work. You're the girl from the party a few weeks ago right?" I nodded. I had once been invited to one of Lex Luthor's parties yet I had never seen the man in person. As she began to walk in another direction. Following her, I began to mumble to myself.

"Yes and I know your name... " I was always observant in these types of situations. Too observant to be comfortable at times, often. Believe it or not this was me trying--attempting--to play it cool. She shrugged off my rude behavior.

For most of the tour I simply nodded, looking around the place with the smallest of glances and the largest of assumptions. That was until we reached a room with a large basketball court.

"Mmm! And who's this?" I jumped as a man walked over, holding out a hand. He didn't have a name tag. Mercy smiled and turned to me.

"I'll allow Mr. Luthor to take it from here." she nodded at me as she then walked away. I turned to the man to find he was now at least one foot closer to me than he was just a few moments ago.

I could hear him inhale deeply through his nose as he smiled. "Daisy. Marc Jacobs. I like it." he continued to stare at me. I was uncomfortable with how close he was to me at this point.

"...How do you mean?" he laughed as I spoke.

"It's the name of your perfume. I like it. I mean it shouldn't be a problem considering I'm your boss... Walk with me will you?" I quickly nodded and obeyed, walking with him. "Now, again, your name?"

"Emily Penny Cosnette. I believe you're Lex Lutho--"

"Mhm. No. I'm not calling you that." he stopped and turned towards me. He smiled, then spoke again. "Penny's a good name." I laughed slightly.

"I would prefer to not go by my middle name alone... "

"And why's that?" he brushed his hand over my cheek as I moved away from him slightly.

"My middle name is for my good friends only..."

"So we won't be good friends?" I opened my mouth yet I couldn't speak. I never knew what to say, and if I did I never said it at the right time. Right about now I'd usually take off but I quickly understood that wasn't happening today.

"You know what, Penny's fine." I smiled as he nodded. He began walking again.

"Good. I like the name Penny." he looked at me again as he continued to walk, keeping his gaze on me. There were many moments of silence as I kept walking, then I spoke again out of curiousty.

"So...where are we going?"

"Stop." I stopped in my tracks and turned to him again.

"Yes?" he tilted his head.

"How badly do you want this job?"

"...Well I really want to pay my rent this month and I find this place interesting as a bonus so... Really badly." he smiled.

"Good. You have ambition. Now. Go home." I tilted my head as my small smile went away.

"W-What?"

"You got the job. But for today, you don't have any work to do. Don't worry, tomorrow will be awfully stressful so I would like you to go home and rest. I don't want to see a single yawn come out the next time I see you. Have fun." he started to walk back to the basketball court as I stood shocked. I knew that I shouldn't have tried to stand up to him or intervene, but I just had to.

"But isn't today my first day of work?" he turned and laughed.

"Oh, right. It was a test to see if you would show up and so I could see who you are. What you're like. You passed. Go home...watch a movie. Have fun." I sighed as he again, walked away.