XVII

It's been a couple of months of uneventful living and Luna was glad. She didn't like chaos. She didn't like have to care for over 100 troopers within a day after a battle. But she wasn't naïve. She knew that things would change soon. It would all of sudden become chaotic and she would hardly have time to breathe. She heard from Kylo that there would be a massive ground assault soon as the ongoing power struggle between the Resistance and First Order continued. And that he was going with them on the ground. She wasn't looking forward to treating so many men that had been programmed to die. And she wasn't looking forward to the anxiety of not knowing if Kylo was ok.

Luna clocked out. It was late and she as worked over time filing away an endless pile of patient records and collaborating computer systems. She tried to keep her eyes open in the short walk to her quarters from the medical centre. She arrived and punched in the entrance code; "Pollux" and then entered quietly, dropping her bag in the corridor and sat back on the bed, sighing. She didn't even bother changing as she curled up on top of the covers and feel asleep - exhausted.

~*~

The door to the medical centre opened and a distressed superior officer ran into the medical centre.

"We need medical assistance on the ground! Our troopers are dying!"

Luna sprung up from her seat behind the desk.

"Yes, sir!"

She grabbed basic medical supplies once being told they would be properly equipped once they boarded the transport and ran to the door along with several other nurses, Callia was there with her. They were led by the officer into a transport and were debriefed as they made their descent towards the ground.

Luna had never been to the ground before. The ground assault had left only several hours ago, they must be in great trouble to have to receive on-the-ground medical assistance this early on, and Luna would do anything to help those in need. Kylo would be there. She prayed that he was alright.

"We have a fair number of troopers that need medical attention within the firing range as well as behind our own front, I'll need some volunteers to go into the range and treat whoever is alive. It's a risky mission but we need to save as many lives as we can"

"I'll do it." Luna volunteered and raised her hand.

There were only three other nurses willing to risk their lives. They were required to wear some torso armour over their regular nurse uniform with a medical symbol on the upper arm in an attempt to stop Resistance fighters from firing at the much needed nurses that were only trying to help.

"We are approaching the ground!" The officers yelled over the noise as they entered the atmosphere of the unnamed planet.

"Get ready!"

Suddenly, the transport shook violently followed by the sound of a X-Wing. They hit us.

"Hold on! We're nearly there! We're being flanked by TIEs. Stay alert!"

Luna held on tight and Callia was next to her. She held Callia's hand too, not knowing if she'll see her again.

~*~

"Keep moving!! We've nearly broken through!!"

Kylo was a machine as he moved swiftly to block fire aimed at him from Resistance fighters. He swung his lightsaber fiercely as it slashed a fighter, he tried not to think about the chance he would be hitting a former friend, instead he kept fighting.  He thought of Luna. And he fought for her, knowing that she's safe on the cruiser. He would fight to come home to her.

~*~

Luna was running through the rubble, dodging fire and leaping over rocks. She'd treated several troopers already, moving them back to the base front for further attention.

She knew that this was dangerous yet as she moved within the war zone, she felt exhilarated. She couldn't describe what she was feeling, but it felt good to amongst the action. She didn't lose focus though as she kept her eyes trained on a trooper lying in the distance as she continuously evaded fire.

~*~

Kylo was behind enemy lines now. He slashed at ships to prevent their take off and impaled people. Slaughtering them like they were animals.

He was a monster.

But he thought of Luna.

She made him sane.

He would go back to her.

~*~

She made it to the trooper. Crimson blood was smeared over his armour. She moved down and out of range and removed the troopers helmet. It was the same trooper she treated several weeks ago. The one with the crooked nose and the stubble with the handsome face. Her heart sunk. But she put on a brace face.

"Hi sweetheart, remember me? It's Luna."

"Luna." His voice croaked. He was weak.

"Where were you hit, can you show me?"

He moved slightly so Luna could see the large wound that was on his side.

"Ok sweetie, it's gonna be fine ok? You'll be ok." She rummaged in her pack for some bandages. She barely had any left. She got what she had and got to work.

"Please, call me Jordan."

Luna looked up at him with surprise. She'd never seen or heard a First Order stormtrooper name themselves before.

"Ok, Jordan." She smiled and tried finish with the wound.

He coughed. "I, I want you to know, that," he swallowed, he was growing visibly weaker "I think you are beautiful, Luna. And if I wasn't a solider, programmed to do evil, that I think I would've made a great husband. And maybe we would've had a nice life together. Two kids maybe. If we didn't live in this war-ridden galaxy."

Luna couldn't stop the tears that fell over her cheeks.

"I know you would've Jordan." She stroked his hair.

He was coughing again and she moved to start bandaging him again. But he stopped her.

"No, I don't want to do this anymore. I don't want to fight for them."

"Jordan, no-"

"Luna, please."

Luna looked at him and saw the pain that was in his bright blue eyes.

"Ok"

She moved to hold his hand instead. It was rough but he squeezed hers.

"Promise me that you'll escape and live the life you deserve."

She was crying. "I promise."

He nodded. "Good...Good..." His eyes closed and he was limp.

Luna burst into tears, they blurred her vision and she sobbed onto his chest.

He didn't deserve to die. He didn't deserve the life he had. He deserved to be happy.

She wiped her tears and placed a kiss on his forehead.

She would never forget him.

She begun to stand up when she felt a bag move over her head. She screamed. Then, suddenly, there was intense pain to the side of her head and all she could see was black.